Groundhog trouble
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 12:23:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1619657 Posts in 191516 Topics by 43285 Members
Latest Member: CrabReagan
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Groundhog trouble « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Groundhog trouble  (Read 3331 times)
B KENNEDY
Gold Member

THE YOUNG GUN

« on: September 05, 2006, 07:59:17 AM »

I have tanned a few hides before so Im not new at the hole tanning thing.  I have not tanned a groundhog before.  So I treated it just like the rest of my hides.  I skinned it, turned eyes, ears and lips, fleshed then salted for 48 hours then rehydrated for 6hours.  After that strait into the pickling for 24hours then shaved and neutralized and in to the Lutan F for 24hours.  When I took it out of the tan I noticed that the fur side of the groundhog was pealing of like it hade a really bad sunburn. Now I have a buckskin groundhog where did I go wrong? 

Side note all of my other hides in at the same time turned out fine.

Thanks for any and all help.
B Kennedy
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 09:48:26 AM by Ken Edwards » Logged

"Every now and then,
No matter how careful you try to be,
You are bound to do something unbelievably stupid"
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 09:43:36 AM »

You didn't tell us if the groundhog was fresh when you got it skinned.  I know I see them as roadkills and anything that's had a chance to spoil this time of year will do it very quickly.  Whistle pigs also are very fatty and need to be degreased at some point.  I suspect your long rehydration didn't help much either.  After 48 yours of salt (I'd have stopped at 24), I'd have dumped him into a very HOT pickle.  Just my opinion, however.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
B KENNEDY
Gold Member

THE YOUNG GUN

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 09:59:30 AM »

thank you george. 

I shot it from my tree stand late last fall.  It was it the 30s at that time and I just froze it hole shortly after.

"Every now and then,
No matter how careful you try to be,
You are bound to do something unbelievably stupid"
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Groundhog trouble « previous next »