Freezer smell?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 07:30:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1625228 Posts in 192460 Topics by 43494 Members
Latest Member: fishmicon
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Freezer smell? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Freezer smell?  (Read 1441 times)
Joe Medley
« on: November 01, 2006, 12:53:24 PM »

My 12 year old son was surprising me by cleaning/reorganizing the basement. Next thing you know, my freezer is only cool! After investigation, I noticed the temp dial was moved to lowest setting. I have squirrels and deer heads in there that I look forward to practicing with. But now a smell, that doesn't seem right.

Do you think I will have to get rid of everything in there? If you saw what was in there, you would cry for me. Big bucks, rare squirrels, beautiful hides!
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 01:19:47 PM »

I never put anything in my freezer that's not in a plastic bag first and then in a brown paper bag.  IF I get a situation like this, I'd just turn the thermostat back up and use them later.  To eliminate the smell, buy two boxes of baking soda and pour them into open trays that you can set inside your freezer for a few weeks.  That will get rid of the smell.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
hambone
Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 01:53:26 PM »

Thats a pretty nice looking buck I noticed on your previous picture you had on white was that in canada?
Joe Medley
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 04:11:06 PM »

So, George. The animals should be ok? Everything is in bags.
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 04:23:32 PM »

Since they're practice animals, I wouldn't throw ANYTHING away until I let it completely thaw and started to use it.

That particular deer was killed on my small plot of land here in Delaware in 2004.  I have a picture of the one I took last year on the same property but I'm "saving" it to use as and avatar later on. As you see, I'm out of the required orange (400 square inches) we have to wear in Delaware and this 212 field dressed 7 pointer is in the back of a pickup truck.   The one where I'm in white was in Saskatchewan.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: Freezer smell? « previous next »