We are "Fish Murderers"....!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2014, 03:38:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1618252 Posts in 191271 Topics by 43233 Members
Latest Member: JAC_projects
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: We are "Fish Murderers"....! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: We are "Fish Murderers"....!  (Read 5588 times)
DougP
Platinum Member

« on: December 13, 2007, 10:34:37 AM »

Just a post for those who may be interested.

Taxidermists who do skin mounts have been labeled "fish murderers", among other things, by some officers of Muskies Inc.
This and other innaccurate charges against skin mounts and taxidermists has been made on.. www.thenextbite.com, discussion board under the topic titles "Green Bay Muskies being Killed" and "Record Hunters" parts 1 & 2.

I've been involved in discussions with some of these people in these topics along with Marc Charles. They have made it very clear that WE are the "enemy". I take very much offense to me and my profession being degraded in this way. This coming from a group representing fisherman.....

I believe this to be as much of a threat in terms of "propaganda" as groups such as PETA. I hope all of you feel the same.

If you would like to support the continuation of doing skin mounts vs. replica only you may say so on their discussion board.

I hope you guys take as much offense to these "attacks" on our profession as I do.

BTW....it has been stated that they support ALL fish, i.e., bluegill, crappie, etc., be caught and released and ONLY done in replica........

I do ask that should any of you post, that it be done in a very professional manner and not in the childish, mud-slinging, manner they have chosen to pursue.

Just thought you might like to know how some of our "fellow sportsmen" view us and our profession.........

Thanks for listening.

DougP
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 10:56:13 AM by dougp » Logged

Doug Petrousek
DOUGLAS TAXIDERMY
2S432 Cedar Court
Elburn, IL 60119
630 557- 0158
"Custom mounting of North American
and Exotic gamefish."
Aaron Stehling
Platinum Member

Stehling's Taxidermy

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 11:05:51 AM »

Doug,
 Thanks for trying to educate with a voice of reason, but I think your wasting your time with the muskey crowd. We do a large number of skin mounts each year, and the number is only growing.

C&R is based on one thing- JEALOUSY

Stehling's Taxidermy LLC
N 4027 Hwy N
Jefferson, WI 53549
Main Office  920.674.3724

www.stehlingstaxidermy.com

Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 11:08:01 AM »

Doug,

I'm seeing that in my area too. Musky were originally planted by a couple of musky clubs although the state has taken it over for some reason. So the fish are in the public lakes but the musky anglers considered them THEIR fish because they planted them. I've been told that anglers that keep them while the purist musky anglers are around are chastised for keeping them but I can't verify that. If I caught one and someone bashed me for keeping it, I'd say go to hell I paid for the license and this is a public lake.

My biggest fear is dying and my wife selling all of my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it.
Jknuth
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 11:43:24 AM »

This Musky worship thing is ridiculous!
These people treat these Musky like they were the reincarnation of their great grandfather  ::)

Here are some facts about musky

1. They Taste like northern
2. They are stupid like a northern
3. if its the fish of 10,000 cast then perhaps you should try casting into the WATER!

::)

The thought that a full grown adult female who has been around for 30 years is a PRODUCTIVE member of the gene pool, is moronic!

It is about jealousy and thats it.

How many of these guys throw every big fish they see back to reproduce will pass up a shot at a Big 30 point buck in rut??? 

This isnt a PETA thing its an INFISHERMAN / TOURNAMENT thing.

Nil sa saol seo ach ceo, Is ni bheimid beo, ach seal beag gearr.

List of available blanks
http://www.knuthart.com/molds

FishArt
Platinum Member

Marty & Son Cass Lake Minnesota

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 11:44:06 AM »

Doug - I'm afraid you're pissing in the wind with these boneheads. You need to stay off those stupid boards and grab a beer instead. Your efforts are futile and will only result in a shorter lifespan due to the stress.

I'm going up a buck or so an inch on replicas this year. And I will do this every year. Let's get 'em with the supply and demand thing. IF every fish taxidermist in the Chicago area (you and I???) does the same, they won't have any choice but to pay the price OR do a skin mount (which is cheaper with me at least). I'm sure we'll do fewer replicas, but at least we can get compensated fairly for them and perhaps this will ease the pain...

"FishArt"
Marty Shimkus
Fish Specialties Taxidermy
Shorewood, Illinois
www.FishSpecialties.NET
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 11:44:48 AM »

And they don't reproduce in our lakes.

My biggest fear is dying and my wife selling all of my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it.
Jknuth
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 11:46:42 AM »

You can always say
"well musky prices for replicas have risen due to the difficulty getting specimens to mold.... Sorry but thats just the way it is. Thanks for letting it go to grow though, you made the right choice"  HAHAHHAHAHA

List of available blanks

Jknuth
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 11:51:43 AM »

They don't reproduce in most lakes.

My point is, As irritating as PETA is dont blame them every time you see this stuff. The C&R groups are coming from within. These sheeple are diving in on the Infisherman band wagon.

I have a friend who did an Ice fishing show with them.  ::) 
Let me tell you they are full of it, the tricks they pulled were amazing. I cant even count the ethical and Illegal crap they pulled to do a show.

Its all an act and it serves to make them Money and help the tourney anglers, they don't care for a second about "conservation"

C&R has its place put it is not always the biggest that should be thrown back

List of available blanks

Perca
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 12:12:50 PM »

It is disturbing that we have such division within our ranks, but that's the way it is. What is  really hard to understand is why these extremist C&R guys refuse to acknowledge or consider the biological facts involved. It's obvious that no amount of logic is going to have any impact on these guys.  In a distorted kind of way, they ARE "animal rights" wackos in their emotional rantings directed at fishermen(and taxidermists) who choose to keep a muskie.  The battle lines are drawn. So be it. >:( 

Fish often, leave the barbs on, keep some to eat or mount, and apologize to no one.
DougP
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 12:15:49 PM »

Aaron.....I'm glad you are doing well with skin mounts. Not so in Chicagoland. I guess it's a change in demographics and mentality while  becoming an "urban society".

Cecil....I agree, they Do believe they are THEIR fish.....and they know better than anyone else!

Josh, Marty, Perca.......you're right, I should leave it alone I guess......

I take this personally 'cause I've felt close to the Musky community for a long time. Worked with and donated to chapters of M.I. for many years.

Their philosophy has left me behind......I suppose it's time I also leave them......

Oh Well.....  :-\ :(

Doug Petrousek
DOUGLAS TAXIDERMY
2S432 Cedar Court
Elburn, IL 60119
630 557- 0158
"Custom mounting of North American
and Exotic gamefish."
Jknuth
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 12:33:10 PM »

I used to donate a replica to the Musky and walleye organizations but not anymore.

the fact is, Fundamentalism will form out of any group and the result is always the same no matter what side of the fence you are on.
Self righteous thinking, Anger, Pressure, Oppression.

It doesn't matter what area you study groups and organizations will Always fall into this trap.  Environmental, Political, Religious  its the same song in every group.

List of available blanks

Mark V.
Silver Member

Chinook Salmon replica

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 04:58:52 PM »

I bet half or more of the Muskies that are caught and released die especially in hot July-August weather. We had quite a bit of hot weather this past summer and we got in  10 muskies and all but 1 of them died. The one fish that the guy kept with intention of having a skin mount was from Cass Lake and a DNR officer gave him a hard time for keeping it. Now the DNR is being schooled by the C&R fisherman. At least the guy stuck up for himself and referred to the Regs that you were allowed to keep 1 muskie. And by the way we havent done any replica muskies in 3 years just skin mounts. If they dont want to kill the fish make it no catch and no release period LOL.,Mark V.
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 05:04:40 PM »

Amen Mark. Raising fish has been an eye opener for me. Lots of preconceived notions have been changed. I do not practice catch and release much anymore as no matter how careful you are you still kill some fish. And I have also found not all fish that die float to the top. Many go to the bottom and die and stay there.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 09:49:28 AM by Cecil » Logged

Marc
Gold Member

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 06:53:41 PM »

Your exactly right MarkV....NO catch and NO release. That's what I'd like to cram down their throats at that meeting in GB on the 29th.
 Where is the Wisconsin taxidermy association in all this?
 Marty, it's a fight that should be fought. What's right is right.
 This finite group is trying to dictate their philosophies on us all. Fragmentation of America again.
 Their claim is that the bay/fox system has the potential to produce huge fish(no #%^@ sherloc) so they should all be tossed back and protected. Sure am glad everytime a huge fish is caught in the bay, there aren't a bunch of PETA people passing themselves off as fishermen trying to get that species shut down too.
 Is not a bluegill that weighs in at 2 lbs. 9 1/2 oz. a monster? That bluegill (our current state record) was caught right smack dab in the middle of where all these guys are trolling. the second largest walleye ever caught in the state a 16.44 lb. behemoth was ALSO caught right smack dab in the middle of where these guys are doing their trolling and you don't see bluegill fanatics coming out and saying all gills gotta be 12 inches or better. Or all walleyes must be 16 lbs or better. That would be taking the fishery away from the general public who owns that fishery. They think their target species is somehow more important than yours or mine and soon it will be NO catching and keeping ANYTHING.
 Marty...sure replicas can be profitable but how many clients of yours come in with a fish that was in their freezer for quite awhile under that load of venny and they finally see it and bring it in to you? Happens to me all the time. If that were a picture and the guy wanted it mounted but the picture got shuffled under the fridge(or a billion other places) chances are that replica may never be come reality....if nothing else, we ALL should be very cognisant of what these special interest groups are doing.
Also, another reason why I have always had a stick up my butt about the WTA. What are they doing For the industry here in this situation? Oh yeah...planning a spring show!

PS..by the way Marty, that fish that stays in the freezer until I raised my prices? Also has a $35.00 freezer burn charge....LOL!
JL
Platinum Member

Taxidermist for 63 years

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 06:55:40 PM »

Here in the Northeast bass were considered "Trash fish" through the '50s. If it wasn't a trout, it fed the coon on the bank. Today bass are right up there with trophy trout and salmon. Fishermen keep the trout and salmon but have been "educated" by the tournament people to release the fish after catching them. However there are a lot of first-timers who want their first bass skin mounted and when they bring them in, you wouldn't believe the mouth mutilation I have to repair. All caused by the C&R mentality.

Do one thing better than others and let others do their thing.....JL
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: We are "Fish Murderers"....! « previous next »