Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2014, 01:26:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1609188 Posts in 189926 Topics by 42989 Members
Latest Member: Allisonariana
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Removing silicone and repainting fish « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Removing silicone and repainting fish  (Read 2274 times)
Cecil
Platinum Member

« on: December 25, 2007, 12:47:41 PM »

Anybody have any ideas on how difficult it would be to remove silicone from a fish skin mount to strip and repaint the fish? I did this yellow perch a few years ago and should have painted the yellow gold color all the the way down to the belly(with some white highlights in between the belly scales), but copped out and painted on a white belly which is more typical. And I'd like to duplicate some subtleties that were there on the original fish as I'm thinking of competing with it. Also the fish is displayed in an area where direct sunlight comes in through the door and has faded the black bars a little. So one more reason to repaint or enhance the paint job.

I know I can peel and scrape off the silicone to some extent but is there anything that will take it off completely? The artificial snow (silicone) is adhered to a clear coat so that may help. I'm afraid if there is any residue of silicone it may interfere with repainting the fish. Maybe once the clear coat is removed it will take the silicone with it?

Ideas?

Present mount (was posted here before) :

Original fish:

My biggest fear is dying and my wife selling all of my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it.
JL
Platinum Member

Taxidermist for 63 years

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 01:35:52 PM »

Cecil I think the silicone will just rub off if you had one coat of gloss under it...as a matter of fact it should come off even if it was applied directly to the paint. I use Acetone to strip original paint from a remount and then treat the fish as I would a repro.I noticed a different eye set between the mount and the original. You may want to change the eye set while you are redoing the fish. Although your mount looks good by itself, I agree that the lower part of the fish is too white and doesn't compare to the real fish especially in the brachiostegial area ahead of the pec fin.A remake will also allow you to try to get the transparency back in the fins....a tough one to do. A good looking fish as is but will like to see the picture of the remake. Good luck....JL

Do one thing better than others and let others do their thing.....JL
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 02:25:22 PM »

Jl,

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like it won't be as difficult as I thought. Yeah you're right about the eye. The real eyes were really buggy!

Hey maybe I'll bring it to the next NEAT. I really need to make a fishing trip up there again as I haven't been back to my ol' stumping ground for several years. Maybe incorporate a show and a competition at the same time.

Cecill

My biggest fear is dying and my wife selling all of my fishing tackle for what I told her I paid for it.
M.T.
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 07:46:37 PM »

cecil, as far as the fish goes, the only thing I would do is Not have the original fish picture with it.  The colors you have are fine for a perch.  However, on another note, why would a guy use a regular bobber when fishing with a spring bobber?  To me, that's kinda goofy looking, along with the splitshot laying in the ice, also, I would get rid of the snow clumps on the reel.  Makes it kinds look like the rod has been abandoned which here in Michigan, if it is not under immediate control, that could cost you eighty bucks. I know, you probably had a flag and ran to catch an undersized pike that probably swallowed the hook and got your minnow, and at eight bucks a dozen, well, it sucks to loose minnows to undersize pike.  Damn hammerhandles!
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 09:44:16 PM »

However, on another note, why would a guy use a regular bobber when fishing with a spring bobber?

M.T., Here in Indiana we use slip bobbers if we are using a small minnow for perch. Many times we set up two poles in front of us like that and wait.  But if we decide to run and gun with a light jig we take off the slip bobber and small split shot and use just the springs. You do know these springs bobbers are glued to the poles right?

I would get rid of the snow clumps on the reel.  Makes it kinds look like the rod has been abandoned which here in Michigan, if it is not under immediate control, that could cost you eighty bucks.

Sometimes it's snowing to beat hell while you're waiting for a bite right? You're an avid ice fisherman. You should know that.  ;)

Would they arrest me at the Michigan show for leaving a pole unattended in a ice fishing scene?  ;D

M.T.
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 11:37:38 PM »

Just ribbin ya Cecil, you should never use a splitshot when ice fishing.  And  yes, the Michigan D.N.R. is so broke, that I wouldn't doubt they would try something like that at the show!  Oops, theres politics again! Anyways, I have 44 years of ice fishing under my belt, and i can assure anyone, you will catch more fish using a 37" schooley with a spring bobber with 2 pound line. If you are in a situation where you need weight to get a minnow down, then you run a weighted hook, never a splitshot. Gonna go out tomorrow and put the hurts to a couple of limits of gills, have a good night.
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 09:07:39 AM »

Gonna go out tomorrow and put the hurts to a couple of limits of gills, have a good night.

Must be nice. Our big lakes aren't safe yet down here yet. Just hasn't been cold enough.

M.T.
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 10:07:14 AM »

We got about 8 inches of beautiful ice, I'll be headed out here soon,
Brian W
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 10:47:49 AM »

Cecil,
          I think it looks great and I would leave it. Maybe do a totally new display with a Vexilar, ulra-light rod with a spinning reel, a perch half through the ice along with the "fatty" on the ice, and maybe the shadow of or parts of a portable ice-tent.
        I don't know, to me it's like taking a test: go with your first answer. And yes, I am guilty of repainting a few of mine BUT I like your scene as it is. Excellent!!!!!!!!!
        And MT, I ice-fish quite a bit and sometimes use the" gill rod" with a permanent spring bobber attached, for perch. I then use a bobber so the perch can suck in that minnie first and pull it down. So, it looks just as Cecil displayed it. I wouldn't use anything other than the spring bobber set-up for gills though. I love to see that spring move ever so slightly to set the hook into a solid slab.
Pescado
Platinum Member

Biggest in 2011

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 12:37:56 PM »

Quote from: M.T. on Yesterday at 11:37:38 PM
    Gonna go out tomorrow and put the hurts to a couple of limits of gills, have a good night.

Now that there sounds like it could be a game violation. What's up with that?

PB

Paul Borkowski
Blue Ribbon Taxidermy & Supply
Agawa Canyon Outfitters, LTD.
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 01:02:43 PM »

Quote from: M.T. on Yesterday at 11:37:38 PM

Now that there sounds like it could be a game violation. What's up with that?

PB

Do as I say but not as I do?  ;D

Hey MT do your Christian ethics only apply while you're inside the church?  :D :D :D  Just ribbing you.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 06:45:00 PM by Cecil » Logged

M.T.
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 12:13:10 AM »

just got done cleaning 50 gills, had to go return some Christmas gifts after I got back from fishing this afternoon.  My son and I went out today and yep, we each caught our limit, hence, couple of limits of gills.  Now you guys know that I would never keep over a limit, that would just be stupid on my part.  Now, did I catch 25 and did he catch 25, the answer is yes, I finished up a half hour befor he did, but he's learning. I was turned on to some Big Gills tonight, so I will be headed out at first light to catch another mess.  Gee, I love ice fishing!
Cecil
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 08:55:40 AM »

just got done cleaning 50 gills, had to go return some Christmas gifts after I got back from fishing this afternoon.  My son and I went out today and yep, we each caught our limit, hence, couple of limits of gills.  Now you guys know that I would never keep over a limit, that would just be stupid on my part.  Now, did I catch 25 and did he catch 25, the answer is yes, I finished up a half hour befor he did, but he's learning. I was turned on to some Big Gills tonight, so I will be headed out at first light to catch another mess.  Gee, I love ice fishing!

So you're not one of those guys that catches his limit, comes home, and then goes back out?  ;D

Sadly we have no limit on bluegills here in Indiana. I have had customers brag about catching several hundred in a day off the beds and then complain that they just aren't catching them like the used to. Well Duhhh!

Dave Smith
Gold Member

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 09:28:55 AM »

Cecil, can't be of much help, but had to say DANG! what a great mount! How do you make artificail snow with silicone??? It looks real. If it's origin is pure silicone, and not silicone adhesive caulking, it shouldn't stick to anything that isn't porous, other than more silicone. I would say go ahead and repaint it. To me, it's absolutely gorgeous, but if you have that little voice telling you to perfect it, you better listen- that voice never rests.   Dave
Monty Artrip
Platinum Member

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »

Hi Cecil, I agree that your perch looks great as is. I can understand your wanting to make it exactly as the photo. Keep in mind that not every perch has the yellow/gold extending as far down. I was just looking at the reference photos that you put in the reference section and noted there were several that show more white in the ice fishing photo you have, particularly the one next to the scoop. Anyway, that is a very realistic and convincing paint job and great work with the scenery!! I have little doubt you could do well competing with it as is. 
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Fish Taxidermy  |  Topic: Removing silicone and repainting fish « previous next »