Wires sticking out of wings?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 08:14:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1612257 Posts in 190433 Topics by 43058 Members
Latest Member: Vanderweittaxidermy
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Wires sticking out of wings? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wires sticking out of wings?  (Read 908 times)
mooser
Silver Member

« on: January 29, 2008, 03:08:09 AM »

How many people mount birds by pushing the wire all the way through the wings and what does this achieve?

amerriam
Bronze Member

Alright, Baseball's Back!!

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 10:44:17 AM »

I do it because that was the way I was taught.  I tried cutting the wires to the correct length and i could not seem to figure it out.  Either they would be too short and I couldn't get the wings to look right, or they would be just to long where I would have to clip them anyway.  The one advantage I have found with the wires sticking out is that it helps me to extended the primary's for a better wing position.  But if you can get your primary's extended and get your desired wing position with out sticking the wire through the wing, I would do that.  The least amount of steps the better.
gadwig
Bronze Member

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 12:32:13 PM »

This is what I do.  I don't know if I read it some where, saw it in a video or dreamt it.  But I cape the wing, then I secure the appropriate wing wire to the wing by wrapping a small 22 guage wire around the wing wire and wing bones.  This wing wire starts at the wrist and is bent at the elbow.  I then wrap poly fill around everything and tie with string, replacing the meat. 
Glass eye
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 12:56:35 PM »

That's the only way I've ever done it. I tried to do it the other way and it never worked for me.
I'm sure someone here is going to tell me that I'm doing it WRONG.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 01:25:42 PM by Glass eye » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Wires sticking out of wings? « previous next »