Wires sticking out of wings?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 05:12:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1625097 Posts in 192443 Topics by 43488 Members
Latest Member: featherfreak
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Wires sticking out of wings? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wires sticking out of wings?  (Read 918 times)
mooser
Silver Member

« on: January 29, 2008, 03:08:09 AM »

How many people mount birds by pushing the wire all the way through the wings and what does this achieve?

amerriam
Bronze Member

Alright, Baseball's Back!!

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 10:44:17 AM »

I do it because that was the way I was taught.  I tried cutting the wires to the correct length and i could not seem to figure it out.  Either they would be too short and I couldn't get the wings to look right, or they would be just to long where I would have to clip them anyway.  The one advantage I have found with the wires sticking out is that it helps me to extended the primary's for a better wing position.  But if you can get your primary's extended and get your desired wing position with out sticking the wire through the wing, I would do that.  The least amount of steps the better.
gadwig
Bronze Member

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 12:32:13 PM »

This is what I do.  I don't know if I read it some where, saw it in a video or dreamt it.  But I cape the wing, then I secure the appropriate wing wire to the wing by wrapping a small 22 guage wire around the wing wire and wing bones.  This wing wire starts at the wrist and is bent at the elbow.  I then wrap poly fill around everything and tie with string, replacing the meat. 
Glass eye
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 12:56:35 PM »

That's the only way I've ever done it. I tried to do it the other way and it never worked for me.
I'm sure someone here is going to tell me that I'm doing it WRONG.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 01:25:42 PM by Glass eye » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Wires sticking out of wings? « previous next »