Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 02:36:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1605760 Posts in 189430 Topics by 42871 Members
Latest Member: AngelHeller
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: what kind of salt do YOU like? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: what kind of salt do YOU like?  (Read 9904 times)
elkhunter1313
Platinum Member

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 02:38:27 AM »

You should be able to find regular non iodized salt there as well...just in much bigger bags...also try the supermartkets that carry the "fill yer own bag" type of salt, spices, cereals, and candies...big ones like Costco type warehouse supermarkets...

King of Krowtann: 10 year user and still going strong!!!
Second Chances

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 06:02:29 PM »

At the local feed store (souther states) they call the salt evaporated salt or "S and S" salt.  It is from cargill and there is also two types.  There is a food grade and a mixing type for grains.  10 dollars for 80 lbs. 
Greg Livbucks
Platinum Member

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 04:02:48 PM »

I have bought the Top Flo salt at a feed store but it does contain something called "Yellow Prussiate of Soda" to prevent clumping. I was told by a certain Taxidermist, who you would all know if I said his name, that it is fine for taxidermy work. I was concerned that it might neutralize the pickle with "soda" in the name. Wasn't all that cheap at 8 bucks for a 50 pound bag. When the Tractor Supply opens near me soon, I'll probably find a better deal there.

When our founders came here they musta been crazy to cross the ocean without insurance.
Kristi

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 04:52:45 PM »

I get food grade flour salt from a feed store (ironic it comes from there and not a bakery supply).

It's so fine baby... you just put it in the water and after a few stirs, it's gone.

That other morton mixing salt from the feed store gave my arm cramps.  It would never dissolve. 
elkhunter1313
Platinum Member

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 05:28:02 PM »

Kristi...when using Krowtann...the salt does not need to dissolve...one of the more finer points to tanning with krowtann, beside having to skip the whole pickling process..

David Patton
Platinum Member

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 05:20:27 PM »

We've used the cheapest salt we can buy.........and been using the same mixture for over 30 years now.     BOAT and SHORE extra fine salt by CARGILL.....we buy close to two tons a year.    Never worried about iodized versus non iodized...ever.

Reason why we don't use iodized:
Iodized salt does not "pull" moisture as well from the hides that we salt dry. It makes sense to purchase non-iodized to allow the salt to work on raw hides better.

Commercial tanning since 1982
elkhunter1313
Platinum Member

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 08:25:20 PM »

Amen david...just reinforces what i have been trying to tell people...thank you.

titus

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 01:28:01 PM »

My first bag from feed store had the black specs in it and now i'm having some hair slipage with that cape (could I re-tan?).  Now I found some of the evaporated high grade salt, seems to work and dissolve much better but costs $10 per 50 lb. bag.  I'm using Krowtann WT, why does it not matter if the salt dissolves?
elkhunter1313
Platinum Member

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 02:01:47 PM »

Part of the process with krowtann is to use NON -IODIZED salt...it draws the moisture out of the hide/skin/cape to allow the tan to penetrate better...of course a good fleshing is also reccommended.

Becky P
Platinum Member

One must believe the glass is half full.

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 02:30:12 PM »

I use Morton's fine mixing salt from the feed store, $4.50/50lbs. Sometimes it's just plain salt and sometimes it has the Yellow Prussiate of Soda in it, whichever she has in stock at the time. I don't care what they say about it's anti-clumping properties, I think it clumps worse with the YP of S, LOL, but it may just be the humidity at the time. I've also gotten some that had the black specks, never had a problem with that either.

www.beckyswildlifestudio.com
Accepting wholesale work - birds, lifesize, gameheads.
titus

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006, 02:33:32 PM »

Becky, did you use the black spec salt in Krowtann or just to salt the hide?
Becky P
Platinum Member

One must believe the glass is half full.

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006, 03:20:27 PM »

Titus, if I remember right, it was back when I Krowtanned everything, so it would have been in the Krowtann. I think the specks are just impurities.

Elk, I've also used iodized salt (to salt hides and in Krowtann) without any problems.

www.beckyswildlifestudio.com
Accepting wholesale work - birds, lifesize, gameheads.
wetnwild
Platinum Member

crunchy

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2006, 05:34:22 PM »

I use the Purex fine granular from AGWAY at 6.99 per 50# bag. Works nicely
RobinK
Bronze Member

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006, 06:22:02 PM »

mixing salt from the feed store
Leroy22
Bronze Member

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 04:21:47 PM »

the salt from my local feed store says it has calcium sulfate and yellow prusate of soda. i read the soda if ok but what abought the other to use with krowtann?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: what kind of salt do YOU like? « previous next »