Illegal or Legal to sell? Pre- 1900s Whole Sea Turtle what's it worth today?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 08:15:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1617178 Posts in 191134 Topics by 43206 Members
Latest Member: Sacc Man
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Reptile Taxidermy  |  Topic: Illegal or Legal to sell? Pre- 1900s Whole Sea Turtle what's it worth today? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Illegal or Legal to sell? Pre- 1900s Whole Sea Turtle what's it worth today?  (Read 10806 times)
ancientturtle

« on: February 28, 2008, 09:47:02 PM »

The sale of any tortoiseshell  is illegal (unless they were manufactured  prior to 1947) CITES law
This antique turtle was taxidermed prior to 1947 and prior to 1900. 

"As you are probably aware, worked items made  from tortoiseshell that acquired before 1 June 1947 do not require  Article 10 certificates to allow them to be used for any commercial purpose    which would include sale. However, if a pre-1947 worked item is subsequently re-worked after 1 June 1947, then the derogation would not apply and an individual Article 10 certificate would be required. Anyone selling such   re-worked items without an Article 10 certificate would be committing an offence under Regulation 8(1) of
the Control of Trade in Endangered Species (Enforcement) Regulations 1997 and, if convicted, could  face up to five years in prison, an unlimited fine or both.

Extremely rare endangered large sea turtle is easily over 100 years old which was initially bought in 1954 for roughly $50,000 US? Condition is excellent and very artfully preserved.  Been in the family for years.  Should I get carbon dating done on it?  Your thoughts.
jermh1

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:36:24 AM »

pretty sure you would have a hard time coming up with proof of age, and if some agent or whoever takes care of that stuff, wanted to bust you, then it would quickly become uneconomical  to sell. from what I was told was a shell or a mount are not considered worked items, like a combe or some other decorative piece, and you cant have them without a permit.  that is how I heard it works, but not for sure.
I see, sea turtle shells get through on ebay every now and then it all depends on species, greens are the cheapest $50 - $400  hawksbill depends on shell quality and are the most common on ebay seen them go for $15 all the way up $1200 I can tell you that the only shell or turtle ive seen sold go over $3000 was a 62in fossil tortise shell from florida$27,500. I would just hang onto it.

merrrly merrly merrly  life is but a dream,  the moment is unachievable, dreams of the past, fantasies of the future, at what moment are we truly alive
in the time it takes to read this how many moments have passed, who holds the meter stick to define it?  We do, dont let life pass you by.
csmingler
Bronze Member

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 09:00:15 PM »

$50,000 on a turtle shell? must have been mighty good soup

\"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.\"    TED NUGENT
margo1

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 10:23:08 PM »

I understand that it is illegal to sell tortoise shell, however i inherited a whole shell from my grand parents about 20 years ago. i remember my grandparents having it in their home when i was a kid.  My question can i sell it ?  Do not want to break any laws .

thanks Margo1 
Light Rail Coyote
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 10:57:41 PM »

In order to legally sell it, you'd need to have an official someone confirm that it pre-dates the ban, and even then, it might still require CITES paperwork. There's a lab in Ashland, Oregon which dates animal parts for situations just like this. I'll be working there next year if all goes well. You might need to send it there to get it dated.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Reptile Taxidermy  |  Topic: Illegal or Legal to sell? Pre- 1900s Whole Sea Turtle what's it worth today? « previous next »