I cut the eyelid during capeing! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 12:53:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1619543 Posts in 191505 Topics by 43279 Members
Latest Member: Graybull
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register

Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear! Please Click Here for full details and to enter.
You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: I cut the eyelid during capeing! HELP!!!!!!!!!!! « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I cut the eyelid during capeing! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2998 times)
Jerry
Gold Member

« on: November 17, 2006, 07:22:45 PM »

I have caped alot of deer and other big game, however tonight I messed up and cut the upper eyelid.  Any input on what to do would be greatly appriciated.  Thanks to all.

Jerry
Jerry
Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 08:21:18 PM »

What I'm asking is, is there a proper method to fix this and still have it turn out good.  Or do I get another cape?  Thanks

Jerry   
Jim Marsico
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 09:04:35 PM »

super glue or zap a gap will fix it after its tanned or use a very fine thread and needle and just sew it; when the mount is dry and the stiches show just cut them out and point it up so its all gone as a problem.  Happens all the time and is a easy fix if your careful.
Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 09:07:30 PM »

first, did you just put a cut in the eye skin, or did you whack the eye lid right off??
if it is just a cut, you can repair with apoxy sculpt or all game or any of the fillers. You can even pin the cut closed when mounting, if it is in the hair area, you can just sew it shut. The end of the world is not going to happen, so don't through the cape out. Next time stick you finger in the eye hole and pull the eye skin away from the skull or eye orbit when you cut, and hug the orbit hole with the knife.

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
Jerry
Gold Member

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 09:17:18 PM »

I feel better now, Its in the upper lid, and yes I cut through the lid.  I didnt cut it off but sliced through it.  I cant believe I did it but I did.  Thanks Jim and Mr T, I can sleep tonight now.

Jerry
shinbone

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 01:03:50 AM »

it just happened to me a couple weeks ago for the first time.i normally use dextrin on my eyes but that time i used hide paste instead.then i just set it in place and it dried just fine. (hide pasted dries faster) i guess it all depends on where and how had it is. i thined mine too much and it split right down the center of the black . ( long ways ) i was worried too but youd never find that mistake now if you tried.
Jerry
Gold Member

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 08:37:09 AM »

Thank you all for helping me with my taxi troubles.  If not for all you good people,  this rookie taxidermist would have had a very long night.  Thanks again guys, and have a great weekend!   
John C
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 09:48:42 AM »

Home tanning, I hope!! Other wise you will likely loosw the eyelid at the tannery.

If you home tan it, you can flesh it down then   use a small quilting needle and thread, make very small stiches and that should fix it.

Ever once in a while we all cut the area around the.
NickyG
Gold Member

"IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 05:47:23 AM »

I also like to use ZAP-A-GAP during the mounting phase...Don't sweat it.......SHOIT HAPPENS.......It will just make you more aware the next time you are caping or fleshing an eye....haha ha ha ;)

Hey, when I was an apprentice taxidermist 9 years ago, it took me over 2 1/2 hours to split,salt, and flesh capes at first...With many holes in eyes,ears,throats, MY FINGERS (that had to rub lots of salt on capes....YOUCH!!!)

You'll get much better!!!    Best of Luck!

Nicholas R. Glorioso, Owner of Glorioso Wildlife Mounts, New York  (802) 733 2590 CELL Professional taxidermist of 16 Years!
WWW.ELUSIONCAMO.COM
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: I cut the eyelid during capeing! HELP!!!!!!!!!!! « previous next »