new topic in learning center - tear ducts on deer
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 19, 2014, 04:42:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1631953 Posts in 193631 Topics by 43722 Members
Latest Member: Hunter84
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: new topic in learning center - tear ducts on deer « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: new topic in learning center - tear ducts on deer  (Read 2836 times)
oldterryr
Platinum Member

Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

« on: November 18, 2006, 12:46:29 AM »

http://tdavistaxidermy.com/learningcenter.html - click on deer eye at bottome of page

jesus is forever!!

http://tdavistaxidermy.com/
oldterryr
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 03:04:23 PM »

;D ;D i am showing instructions forbeginners - this is by far the easiest way for a beginner to achieve satisfgactory results - i see experienced taxys around here that could definitely benefit from this technique so i am assuming there is at least one person on here that can to - i have already received numerous internal emails thanking me for teaching this technique so it must have been something that people needed- i appreciate that your way my be better or faster or whatever - my learning center is for beginners not someone who has bveen mounting deer for years - if you have a better way why not post some pictures - form is rm

jesus is forever!!

wolfpaw

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 03:59:19 PM »

HI Oldterryr
Thanks for the great site(put it in my favorite).I'm a beginner and just trying to obtain all of the knowledge out there.

Again Thanks
                                              Wolfpaw
Matt
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 09:55:03 PM »

This is just my opppinion, but the gland looks too long and shouldn't come down that far. I agree with 4000fps in the fact the key is to thin the skin around the gland. The actual tucking skin is already pretty thin. Rather than cut the slot on the manikin, make your slot by tucking the skin when mounting, this will prevent opening the slot any bigger than it has to be. Here is a pic of a finished gland on a commercial mount.

* web site pics 310 (Small).jpg (66.97 kB, 640x480 - viewed 665 times.)

BeckyBird
Platinum Member

My Baby Bluebirds

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 12:09:17 AM »

I also bookmarked your page! I am going to learn mammals soon, and your page will be great to study! Thank you for having a free page where anyone can go to learn taxidermy! I really appreciate it:)
oldterryr
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 01:40:53 AM »

you're very welcome

jesus is forever!!

Big John
Gold Member

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 06:43:25 AM »

I have noticed that a lot of guys make this tear duct area very difficult to do.  When I do the eye I always leave enough thin caruncula skin so that all you have to do is just lay it back into the slot in front of the eye.  Then with a modeling tool shape the caruncula area and the eye crease on top.  Then if you look at the flow of the tear duct with a good eye reference photo you will see how the entire area is shaped and how it flows.  If you make the slot small enough and thin that tear duct skin down you won't have to use any clay.  But, if you overdo the slot then you would add clay.  But, keep it simple and make sure you always have a good eye reference in front of you.

When painting that eye keep it simple and light and smooth.  I see people painting these red, gold and every color in the book.  Look at the attached photo and ask yourself how many colors do you actually see around the entire eye?  Then again I see some of the dullest looking eyes.  Some people can do a really good job on there eye set etc. but fail to put a wet look around that eye.  Just look at the photo and see if it's moistened.  Come on you guys can do better than this.

John Griffith
www.griffithtaxidermy.com

* whitetaileye[1].jpg (51.14 kB, 640x433 - viewed 635 times.)

John Griffith
532 HWY 1567
Stearns, Ky 42647
606-376-4380
www.griffithtaxidermy.com
Lisa M
Platinum Member

Swing like no one is watching...lol

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 01:29:57 AM »

I am confused and think I might have messed up.  Dang it.  I hope I didn't.  I think I transferred the tutorial that Terry did for this thread over from his website to the tutorial section here, but I don't remember 100%.  (Anyone else confused now too?!?)

Is the following thread, http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,127354.0.html the tutorial Terry is talking about for this thread?  I think it is...but I'd really hate it if I messed it up.  >:(  Dang.  Arghhhhhhhhh!!!!!  <sigh>  I don't want any of his wisdom to slip by for any beginners.  I thought I got them all transferred...this is gonna make me nuts. 

Even though folks may disagree about the "best" way to do things, Terry always gave solid advice to those who are just starting to dip their toes into the taxidermy pool!  ;)  Critter. 

Anyway...if anyone who remembers better than me, is that tutorial the same one he's talking about in this thread?  Thank you.  ;)

If you don't stand behind our soldiers, remember you are free to stand in front of them. 

My e-mail address is in my profile. Holler if you need to.
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Beginners, Training & Tutorials  |  Beginners  |  Topic: new topic in learning center - tear ducts on deer « previous next »