Fleshing a rabbit
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 10:34:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1618076 Posts in 191242 Topics by 43230 Members
Latest Member: heatherpatton
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: Fleshing a rabbit « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fleshing a rabbit  (Read 1164 times)
WillinghamsTaxidermy
Platinum Member

« on: April 12, 2008, 09:57:36 AM »

Last week sometime I found a road kill cottontail and decided to mount it, since I've never done a rabbit before. I got it skinned and was surprised at how thin and delicate the skin was. I cut SO many holes in the thing just skinning it!  I was wondering how I should go about fleshing it, I really don't want to damage it any more. I don't have a fleshing machine, so thats out of the question. Any ideas?

Thanks
"Mink"

Taxidermist - Furrier - Trapper
www.WillinghamsTaxidermy.com
Codi
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 09:59:21 AM »

If there is any flesh on it just pinch it off with your fingernails. All of the rabbits I have skinned never had much flesh on them after skinning. Just pinch it and peel it off, like when you are removing ear cartilage.

Low T
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 10:05:15 AM »

Yes, as Codi said, peel it off, using a fleshing machine on a rabbit is overkill, kind of like getting a drink out of a fire hydrant.

And no, I do not own a Tshirt that has a wolf or unicorn on it.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control.
Stop Rot,,use it or lose it.
Rest well our friend, you are missed.
WillinghamsTaxidermy
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 01:04:46 PM »

If there is any flesh on it just pinch it off with your fingernails. All of the rabbits I have skinned never had much flesh on them after skinning. Just pinch it and peel it off, like when you are removing ear cartilage.
Okay, good to know. I hadn't thought of that. Also, should I bother turning the ears, or is it safer just to card them?
Thanks for the info!

Taxidermist - Furrier - Trapper
www.WillinghamsTaxidermy.com
Jen D.
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 01:36:34 PM »

I can tell you a little about cottontail fleshing.. it is tough work! I just fleshed my first skin, and it was a cottontail (first-ever animal I got with a gun.. it could not have been something easier, lol.) I did mine by hand and used some sandpaper.. not sure the grit, but I got advice about this in the Tanning section of this forum.. it helped a lot. It just took patience and unfortunately for me, a few rips, until I actually got the gist of just how Thin the skin is. Being in a hurry, as I learned, is a great way to tear the poor skin in half.. I would sit comfortably at a table with sandpaper (and maybe some hard liquor!) and go at it when you have alot of time.
oldterryr
Platinum Member

Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 11:41:31 PM »

fleshing a cottontail is like peeing in the ocean and trying to raise the sea level

jesus is forever!!

http://tdavistaxidermy.com/
Nicnox

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 07:43:45 AM »

If I were you id be ready with the stop-rot too.  Dunno about your american bunnys but I often have trouble with slippage here in the uk.
cattrax
Gold Member

Beats being in the shop!

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 08:58:55 AM »

If you have access to a bird flesher, you can use that, but still need to be pretty careful. I'd rather flesh grouse and huns than cottontails.
joeym
Platinum Member

Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 09:14:48 AM »

Mink:

It may be a challenge to you, but I would turn the ears and either make earliners or use and epoxy...like ear magic.  Two part epoxy from Wal-Mart will probably work.  If you just card the ears, they will eventually curl, and will slip to the point of being hairless.  Use your first rabbit as a learning experience...maybe do a Jack-o-lope...everybody loves them!!!

Joe Miitchell (aka jkmitch) and Joey Murphey (joeym)

Joey Murphey, Taxidermist    Chunky, Mississippi    www.mstaxidermist.com     http://wokk.com/pages/2965375.php
Pever
Silver Member

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 08:41:47 AM »

fingernails and small scissors
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Lifesize Mammals  |  Topic: Fleshing a rabbit « previous next »