Bird tanning solution
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2014, 11:00:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1625649 Posts in 192548 Topics by 43500 Members
Latest Member: beckmana2014
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Bird tanning solution « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Bird tanning solution  (Read 3646 times)
owen
Bronze Member

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 12:21:31 AM »

Rick,
    Wow, just trying to help some people out. Some of the techniques or ideas on this forum maybe new to some individuals.Just letting people know what works for me. Again, the wealth of information you have provided everyone trying to learn from these postings.....zero. Attitude, look in the mirror.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 12:55:13 AM by owen » Logged
Rick RR GBirds
Gold Member

Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 09:40:36 AM »

I guess I will check with you Owen first, before I post...to make sure it's something helpfull to add.  Me warning people about health concerns of fuel, not to mention safety...and the fact that they don't have to use fuel is pretty good tip in my book!  It's all a matter of choice!   So don't tell me that I have nothing to add by my post, not to mention talk down to me.  I was just trying to help as well!  Most of the people starting up here, don't have shops with proper venation to handle "gassing" their birds.  Knowing that you don't have to is a good option! 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 10:48:35 AM by Rick RR GBirds » Logged

Is it Hunting season yet???
Ted C
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 03:59:24 PM »

I have had great results with just white vinegar (1  capful per gallon) and water.  I wheel the bird, wash in Dawn and keep rinsing until the water is clean enough to drink, then tumble in grit.   I only use Coleman gas in rare cases.  It is usually unnecessary.  The tanning may be over kill to some but when I take a bird apart to salvage the body there is no musty smell that I used to have before I started tanning.

owen
Bronze Member

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 12:19:27 AM »

Rick,
     Thank you for your post. What are the other alternatives to fuel? What is your complete washing process? Do you tumble and if so what is your medium? What do you use to seperate the water  out of the skin to aide in drying time? What do you use for a degreaser? I would love to use something other than fuel that works as well. Help me out. Thanks for your help I look forward to trying your technique.
Rick RR GBirds
Gold Member

Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 09:13:30 AM »

Owen, I don't do anything special...I just don't use gas anymore.  I was taught to, kept asking questions why...And finally realized after talking with a lot of people here...that it isn't needed.  I'm certainly not preaching to anyone who does.  It's just a step that I bypass for several reasons.  I think it's good idea to let new, up and coming people know there is an other way.

Is it Hunting season yet???
GSPmutt
Bronze Member

One of my Mutts

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 10:17:31 AM »

It was asked what to do in place of using "GAS", so I thought I'd pass on the steps that I was taught by someone on this board.

Take your clean and well rinsed wet bird skin and gently squeeze as much water out by hand as you can, then place it in a washing machine set to SPIN only, take out your damp skin and either tumble (I don't own a tumbler) or go straight to the shop vac or blow dryer.

Once all the feathers are are 80% dry, drop the skin in a box of borax and toss around until covered (inside and out), shake off excess borax and continue with the shop vac until feathers and down are dry, avoid drying out the skin.

You now have an unGASSED skin ready to be mounted.  No fumes, no ventilation problems, no smelly freezers, no fire hazards, no brainer for me.  Take it for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 01:39:58 PM by GSPmutt » Logged

Larry
taxidermologist
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 11:54:48 AM »

Owen, there is no necessity to use any gasoline, acetone, mineral spirits, or any other organic solvent in preparation of a suitable bird skin for mounting. You seem a bit antagonistic towards those who use an alternative method - Rick was simply pointing out his views on cleaning birds, which do not lead to bad fumes or risk of explosion in the taxidermy lab. The archives are full of exacting descriptions of methods of washing birds without aliphatic solvents or other noxious fluids, it would serve no purpose to re-post the exact procedure.

People seem to stick with what works for them, and you are a convicted gas user, which is fine from my aspect. However, as this is an open forum read by many beginning taxidermists, it is better to start them down the correct and safe road before they develop bad habits.
JCGaydos

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 03:12:39 PM »

Didnt mean to start a war over this ;D

I do thank everyone for their input, I posted this and then went on vacation for awhile, so I am just responding.

Thanks again!
bird artist
Silver Member

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 05:02:53 AM »

I agree about bird tanning "crap"- people are just trying to get you to buy their product for something totally unnecessary.  Regarding longevity, what about all the beautiful bird mounts that look as good as the day were done 100 yrs. ago, some more, by Roland Ward?  not to mention Coloman Jonas?  They were not tanned to my knowledge, but arsenic was used.  Plus, I still don't use repo heads, only for competition.  The key thing is that the skin is cleaned properly.  Not only does this help with bugs, but it breaks up the areas that dry and would otherwise pull the skin [feathers] as it shrinks.  A word of caution about white gas- I had a garage fire back in Feb that burned everything in my shop because I was soaking bird skins and got lazy and didn't empty gas back into container but kept it exposed in plastic tub.  Big mistake, the fumes hovered on the floor and the kerosene heater I was using sparked it, garage was ventilated too but not well enough.  Incredible how fast fire spreads, especially after plastic tub melted with 3 inches of gas now spread all over garage floor- lake of fire!  Always, and I mean always, have a fire extinguisher handy.  I didn't and it cost me.  I still use white coleman gas, but only outside, and definitely try not to breathe it, stay downwind.
aaron
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: Bird tanning solution « previous next »