turkey Mount
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 01:31:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1571611 Posts in 184395 Topics by 41976 Members
Latest Member: Off the Hook
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: turkey Mount « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: turkey Mount  (Read 3781 times)
Carl Edwards

« on: September 08, 2006, 09:30:11 AM »

Just wanted to test posting a pic. First turkey mount. Hazel Creek head painted by me.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 09:39:28 AM by Carl Edwards » Logged
mike welch
Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 09:49:40 AM »

Great looking head is it freeze dried or replica

if it wasnt for a hobby, I'd be in trouble
Western Rivers
Silver Member

Wolves are Idaho's #1 Poacher!

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 09:53:29 AM »

I'd say it's the real head freeze-dried.

Lee Wolford
Western Rivers Taxidermy
5559 hwy 95 New Meadows, ID

208-628-CATS (shop)
208-521-0437 (cell)
Carl Edwards

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 10:25:23 AM »

That's the actual head from that Tom. I froze it and sent it to HC for freeze drying. It was a learning experience because the cost to overnight it was 50 bucks! There I am standing at the UPS counter with that "deer in the headlights" look after she told me the price. After paying HC for their service and shipping it was pretty pricey. Next time, I'll probably buy a head from their stock. Carl
JonHarleTX
Platinum Member

Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 10:42:50 AM »

After paying HC for their service and shipping it was pretty pricey. Next time, I'll probably buy a head from their stock. Carl

I usually save all my heads from the season.. Buy stock heads, and then at the end of the year send in a box of frozen heads.  I think they are paying $8 per head.  I am close enough to HC that I can freeze many (20+) in a baggie and then insulate the heck out of it and ship it ground.. It usually arrives in 2 days.  If I ship in the winter there really is no concern.  The mass is large enough to remain frozen/cold over the 48 hours and I have never heard back from HC that they arrived in bad shape.. Instead I get a nice check in the mail.

Also,  I buy 2nd quality heads from HC.. they usually have some minor imperfection that 10 minutes and a pea sized ball of apoxie sculpt will fix.  They are usually about $10 to $20 cheaper than their normal heads.. and in all sincerity, I have gotten better heads this way..I  figure I have 60 to 90 minutes in prep time on a stock head anyways... whats another 10 minutes...??

Just somehting to think about..

Jon~
Western Rivers
Silver Member

Wolves are Idaho's #1 Poacher!

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 10:43:52 AM »

One of these days they will sell repo's with hair.

Lee Wolford
Western Rivers Taxidermy
5559 hwy 95 New Meadows, ID

208-628-CATS (shop)
208-521-0437 (cell)
long spur
Bronze Member

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 10:37:31 AM »

Carl that's quite impressive, considering it's your first turkey makes it even more so.  The paint job on the head is outstanding.  I know of people that have done hundreds that can't come close to that.  I assume you're looking for constructive criticism.  I think you're bird's legs are a little short (kind of like a domestic), the Scapulars are a little puffy, and the red is a tad too dark on the wattles.  All in all, if that's the worst turkey you ever mount, you'll never have complaints from your customers.  Again, congratulations, that's a great looking turkey mount.

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
joe simmons
Gold Member

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 08:00:29 PM »

nice looking for a first turkey, i would like to see a little bit better blending on the paint not a sharp edge looking stop if you know what i am trying to say , spray a little red at an angle on the snood towards the head.all in all good job

Joe   Simmons
Carl Edwards

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 11:58:13 AM »

Joe and Spur, Thanks for the comments, and compliments. I realy do appreciate them. I purposely avoided saying "please critique" or "What do you think?". (See Georges "ugly babies" post!). I pretty much knew what was wrong with it any way, but there comes a point for me at which I go by the addage that "Better is good enoughs worst enemy". I'm still struggling with the air brush. If I could get the hang of that thing more my work would improve. My customer was thrilled though and that always makes me feel good about my work.  I'll also charge more on the next one! Take care all, Carl
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Bird Taxidermy  |  Topic: turkey Mount « previous next »