Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2014, 06:09:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1610370 Posts in 190102 Topics by 43018 Members
Latest Member: Barry Lederach
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Broken Skull Plates « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Broken Skull Plates  (Read 1801 times)
northwoods
« on: December 02, 2006, 04:43:28 PM »

Greetings all!  I shot a nice buck last week and ended up breaking his skull plate.  I'm not planning on mounting him, but I still would like to keep the rack and have it on the mantle in the house.  I have 5 other racks that the skull plate is broken on as well and last year I tried using epoxy to fix 2 of them with no luck... they ended up coming apart again when the kids played with them.

I have fixed broken skull plates for racks that were mounted, but what's the best way for me to fix a broken skull plate for a rack that I do not intend on mounting?  I was thinking fiberglass or maybe bondo, but wanted to see what has worked for folks in the past before I start anything.

Thanks!
John from WI
Pirate
Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 04:50:00 PM »

I would use bondo.  If you want it real strong, put one coat of bondo on then place a small block of wood on the inside of the skull and screw two screws into it from the top.  Then bondo again.  It won't come apart then.  That will work on a regular mount or an antler rack.

Bob Warnick
Sunset Wildlife Studios
410-456-8443

Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.
                                                          Ted Nugent
Bobbi Meyer
Platinum Member

I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 07:23:22 PM »

I had the same thing happen to a 23 year old rack, but I opted to use fiberglass resin to bond it back together. It was stronger afterwards than the original skull plate was.

Jims Wildlife Studio
Platinum Member

Full Time PA Taxidermist

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 07:34:49 PM »

Both method's should work for you. If not mounting I would just use the Bondo.

Jims Wildlife Studio
158 Cemetery Street                                                                                                      
Archbald, PA. 18403
(484) 239-1275
Matt
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 10:43:55 PM »

Pirate's way would work really well for you if you do not intend to mount the rack.

oneshot
Gold Member

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 09:33:28 PM »

I have one that I am going to shoulder mount. How woul dyou suggest doing it?
Thanks,
Oneshot
Matt
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 09:58:06 PM »

Oneshot, you can take the two sides and make sure they fit back together good. Then, set them aside and mix up enough bondo with some sawdust to create a brain ridge, and mix it alittle hot. The sawdust will help in keeping the bondo from running everywhere. After mixing, scoop the bondo up and place it on the manikin. Take your skull plate and place it on the bondo, don't worry about it gushing out, you can trim it. Hold the skull plate in place until the bondo kicks. Once it kicks, remove the skull plate and trim the excess bondo off. Take the skull plate and drill your holes through it where you would normally would. Then take the skull plate and place it on your new brain ridge and mark the holes and drill through the bondo stopping at the wood block in the head. Then you can insert your screws and put your skull plate in place. Good luck and enjoy!

Meyer Wildlife
Silver Member

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 11:50:08 AM »

One shot
 Take the two halves and aligne them up, Mark 4 dots on them along side the break on each half.
This is where you will drill holes the wire (bailing). Run short pieces of wire fron side to side and twist them together under skull cap.
Mix up some magic sculp and cover skull cap and wires. It works great,Reinforses skull cap and you can drill your holes.

Bill Meyer
Meyer Wildlife Creations
2314 Oxford rd.
Redding, Ca. 96002
(  (530)604-4359
Mason(Ron&Linda)
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 12:02:40 PM »

You can also cut little grooves from hole to holewith a dremel  and counter sink your wire in them on the front side and cover them with bondo, apoxy sculpt ,or what ever you have . Then sand them smooth so you wont know the wire is even there.

Northwoods
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 08:35:03 PM »

THANKS enerybody for all the tips!  I ended up drilling the small holes and wiring the two halves together and then wrapped the skull plate with fiberglass soaked in resin.  Once it dried it's like brand new, never broken and rock solid.  I would have never known how to do it, thanks again to all who helped. 

Meyer Wildlife
Silver Member

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 08:44:24 PM »

No problem as that is what the forum is for.

Bill Meyer
Meyer Wildlife Creations
2314 Oxford rd.
Redding, Ca. 96002
(  (530)604-4359
NickyG
Gold Member

"IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 05:53:53 AM »

What I do to fix broken skull plates that works excellent is:   First make sure both pieces align properly...Next...drill two holes in back of skull plate.....2 upfront near burrs (1"or so from burrs)....Next, run small gauge bird mounting wire through each set of holes(start from the top)...Twist the wires on the bottom og the skull tight with pliers, then mix up BONDO with some fiberglass chop added , and put on top of wires on bottom of skull plate...They will be as good as new, and probably even STRONGER with this method...Good Luck!   ;)

Nicholas R. Glorioso, Owner of Glorioso Wildlife Mounts, New York  (802) 733 2590 CELL Professional taxidermist of 16 Years!
WWW.ELUSIONCAMO.COM
Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Broken Skull Plates « previous next »