McKenzie tan
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 05:30:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1573101 Posts in 184650 Topics by 42020 Members
Latest Member: SherrieG
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: McKenzie tan « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: McKenzie tan  (Read 3470 times)
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 06:01:16 PM »

I can't answer that question.  I send all my rug work out to have it professionally done.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Dan K

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 12:09:12 PM »

paul e
no, never used JRTS. Over the years have used or tried: Lutan, Curatan, Basyn-tan, Krowtan,  Liqua-tan, EZ Tan and a couple others. My opinion, there is nothing wrong with Lutan when used properly, except that it is slightly expensive. Basyn-tan is so similar to EZ-tan that I can't tell the difference. I don't care for Curatan or Krowtan. Even though Krowtan does have very good stretch and appears to be a good tan. (it should, it has everything in it except the shop sink) it is too costly for volume work. McK Tan appears to tan the same quality as Liqua-Tan only being lighter, cleaner (not gooey) and goes a little further.
Frank E. Kotula
Platinum Member

master, judge, instructor

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 12:21:25 PM »

Dan there is a huge difference between McKenzie tan and Liqua-tan. The biggest is knobloch's liqua-tan is chemically stable where as McKenzie is not. Also folks get the stretch they want from Knobloch's and we have read where McKenzie does not have near as much.

Frank E. Kotula
http://www.FranksWildlifeStudio.com
one on one classes 570-819-0391
All phases of taxidermy
JohnW.
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2006, 03:51:58 PM »

Thank you Frank K. and George,I talked to Mike Gillis from McKenzie about the lack of stretch with the McKenzie tan.He was shocked and asked me if I would give another quart of the stuff a try.I did a few more deer skins with  a new quart(trying to give the product a fair shake in case the first batch was somehow messed up)and I had the very same results, lack of and I mean lack of stretch.I don't try to critisize products because what works for one person may not work for another,but when someone tries to convince me you get the same stretch as the tans your presently using and I don't,you realize their trying to sell their product and they really need to listen to the people using this product and stop trying to convince them it must be something your doing thats wrong because all these other folks are getting more stretch than with lutan f that they have been using for all these years.One of the taxidermist they used for their add actually had the intellect to say that this paint on tan actually gave his hides fur a nicer sheen?!The proofs in the puddin .;D
George Roof
Platinum Member

The older I get, the better I was.

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2006, 04:11:12 PM »

John, your results, my results, and those of half a dozen others I've talked to are all the same.   The McKenzie tan has a LONG way to go to match JRTS or Liqui-Tan.

If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Tanning  |  Topic: McKenzie tan « previous next »