Refurbishing a deer mount???
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 05:45:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1616693 Posts in 191044 Topics by 43190 Members
Latest Member: Michiel375
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Refurbishing a deer mount??? « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Refurbishing a deer mount???  (Read 1597 times)
Alicia L
Platinum Member

« on: July 13, 2008, 11:03:29 PM »

I have tried searching the archives, but I guess I don't know the appropriate words to type in.  My father-in-law has a deer head that the black around the muzzle has faded out to a very light tan color.   What kind of stuff could I use to darken that back in?  I am a newbie, so I have no idea, and I would like to do it right, and not just grab whatever is around the house and dab it on there... 

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"--Thomas Edison
Alicia L
Platinum Member

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:30:34 AM »

Oh, come on now, everybody!  Surely somebody can help me!?...............Hello?..........Anybody?..............Please?.......

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"--Thomas Edison
Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:55:03 AM »

well if i say hair dye or just for men i bet it will upset someone enough to answer you, ;D
 so hair dye or just for men ;)

Everyone has an opinion........
Alicia L
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 11:03:27 AM »

Okay, I'll take that!   ;D  Whatever it takes to get an answer, but that truly may be a viable solution...I just wouldn't know  ::)

Redwolf
Platinum Member

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 11:14:11 AM »

me either, but usually when i say something they jump on me so i figured it might get the wolfs circling ;D ;D
of course now that i want them to they probably wont. :D

Everyone has an opinion........
Dennis Bragg
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 11:30:57 AM »

This is just my experience, but it will be difficult to do anything to it that will not look like you tried to paint or dye it. Once faded like that, to me, they end up looking worse. I have tried to touch up a couple mounts that were old and faded and was never happy with the way they looked. The best thing you could do to make it look good, would be to remount it.  ;)
Alicia L
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 04:12:01 PM »

Yeah, well, I am already working on remounting one set of antlers for him on a new cape.  He says if I do good on this one, he will let me do his big buck that needs to be redone.  Gotta find a 24 or 25 inch cape for that one, and he doesn't want to pay much for one  :-[.  That's about impossible...  Maybe if I get one or two up next to the one that's faded out, he'll say "Go ahead and do that one too!"

Dennis Bragg
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 04:41:23 PM »

Your right, he will have you do the other. As for the cape for the bigger deer, he will have to pay for one that large, if he wants a nice one. Good luck!
Justin P.
Platinum Member

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 04:44:57 PM »

Use an air brush.  Try using dark brown and whites.  Don't over do it but keep applying it and wiping it off with a towel as you go.  Until you get the desired effect.  It won't look like a new cape would but it helps brighten them up.  Then he can hang it back in front of the window  8)
Bobbi Meyer
Platinum Member

I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 05:42:59 PM »

justin is right, try an airbrush.

Alicia L
Platinum Member

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 11:21:39 PM »

Thanks for the advice, everyone!  I may try the airbrush.

Kittrell Hill (Tuggy)
Platinum Member

9 Beard Merriam 2008 Meade Co SD

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 08:36:58 PM »

I would try airbrushing thats what I do on the edges of some deer noses that are missing hair or on some scaring on the cape just put it on lite until you get the shade you are looking and I always come back and brush out the hair that seems to blend and dull the paint a little so it doesn't look like it has been painted. hope this helps

James Marsico
Platinum Member

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 08:57:09 PM »

Airbrush, Laquer, Dark brown and mist the eyebrows while your at it.

Pages: [1] Print 
Taxidermy.Net Forum  |  Taxidermy Discussion Categories  |  Deer and Gameheads  |  Topic: Refurbishing a deer mount??? « previous next »