Fungus on Sheep skull plate...

Submitted by John G. on 1/7/01. ( huntnstuff@ev1.net ) 207.218.245.7

I think I'm finally ready to attempt my first sheep mount. It is a Corrsican. The skull plate and bone curls have sit outside for about 6 months and now there is a black fungus on them. I'm soaking them in Lysol for about 30 minutes but wanted to know if there is anything else I need to do before I mount it.
Thanks

Return to Beginners Category Menu


Mildew, would be my bet.

This response submitted by John C on 1/7/01. ( ) 208.44.115.51

I will bet thats what it it, a little bleach a water and some scrubbing should fix that right up. JOhn C


Like John said....

This response submitted by Jody on 1/7/01. ( ) 216.234.196.0

If in fact it is mold/mildew, it is very important to kill this before the mount. I mounted a goat that had mold on the base of the horns and it spread into the the head cape and slipped the hair. Mind you, I lived in a damp climate. Thats my 2 cents worth.


Try a spray

This response submitted by Duane Connor on 1/9/01. ( djconnor@bellatlantic.net ) 141.150.86.237

After you boil the skull plate (what I us is sal soda) you should then dry the plate
till it is "bone dry" and then spray them with Polytranspar Fungicidal
sealer. This will eliminate growth of mildew and bacteria.All of these items can be purchased from WASCO or Van Dykes


Return to Beginners Category Menu