Is it Legal to Sell/Buy Certain Taxidermy Items?

Submitted by Bill on 2/12/01. ( billp@nwlink.com ) 207.202.175.65

I recently acquired a large collection of taxidermy items. I have no interest in this field, but it came with a house I recently bought. There are perhaps 70 items including buffalo head, moose, deer, elephant foot (hollowed out and used as an umbrella stand), lion skin rug, bear skin run, lions paws used as coasters, etc. I can't even remember all the stuff, but there are easily 70 items including 50 full heads (I know that's probably not the right terminology).

So my question is this: is it legal to sell this stuff (and for someone else to buy it)? Considering many of these animals are now endangered or otherwise protected?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks.
Bill

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Buy Sell

This response submitted by ken graf on 2/12/01. ( kgraf@mail,win,org ) 204.184.55.139

PLEASE send me a list of mounts i will try to price them for you and might be interested in them Thank's Ken

Wait...

This response submitted by Mike on 2/13/01. ( kinetic349@yahoo.com ) 164.105.232.51

Check your state regs........certain states will not allow you to sell them....Pa has some funny laws when it comes to this.

Waterfowl

This response submitted by Dave at vanDyke's Taxidermy Supply Co. on 2/13/01. ( dave.belanger@cabelas.com ) 208.141.229.5

You need to be careful with ducks, geese,swans and the like.
Unless they were pen raised and have papers to prove it,you could open yourself a big can of worms.Wild, they are non-transferable and also cannot be sold.The other items you have may be worth quite a bit of money. Do some of your own homework so you dont get taken!Sounds like you have a real treasure there,especialy if in good condition!

Have a good day,
Dave>VanDyke's

Treasure!

This response submitted by Moondancer on 2/15/01. ( moondancerspirit@worldofmarna.com ) 24.167.228.61

I'd love to pick up some of those. I'd be careful and check your region's laws on the more exotic items like the lion, but sounds if you found a great treasure there.

selling of bears

This response submitted by jason l. on 2/24/01. ( ) 209.214.113.187

it is illeagle to sell bears to.

Return to Beginners Category Menu