Paint to match old weather barn board

Submitted by Jason on 6/18/01. ( nyflyfisherman@yahoo.com ) 160.254.115.87

Does anyone know if there is a paint to match old grey barn board? I cut out a piece of barn board for a turkey mount and the part that was cut has a "newer" look to it. Is there any paint or way of making some that will match the weathered grey color?

Thank you
Jason

Return to Beginners Category Menu

pewter gray stain...

This response submitted by gus on 6/18/01. ( gustaxidermy@hotmail.com ) 65.227.252.215

...is what I used on some pine to make it look weathered the customer
liked it. I don't remember what brand name it was. Take a scrap peice in when you are looking for the stain and most places will let you try alittle out before you buy it.
good luck
GUS

Weather board......

This response submitted by Bill Gaither on 6/18/01. ( WILDART@prodigy.net ) 66.90.182.224

The actual color of the weathered surface varies substantially, dependent on type of wood and time of exposure. The effect can be duplicated with flat acrylic paints and a stain wash of oil based paint over them. Cood color selection to concoct the desire hue and tone can be made from the following: Ivory Black, Burnt umber, burnt sienna, yellow ochre, white and colbalt blue.

These few colors will match any tone I can conceive. I usually mix a gray base to match the wood, and add a substantial amount of water to thin the color and use it to stain the cut surface. The surface can then be "antiqued" by using an oil base stain, shoe polish, oil paint thinned with mineral spirits and any number of counter tone agents to complete the effect.

Angle

This response submitted by joe j on 6/18/01. ( ) 207.41.16.3

I use weathered barn wood all the time, and know your exact problem. Try cutting the end of the board on an angle, so that the "new" edge slants away from the show side. You will not be able to see the new cut.

very distressed!

This response submitted by woodchuck on 6/18/01. ( ) 205.188.209.134

All the other posts are great ideas,my technique for any faux finish is to simply match your basecolor as close as possible,then dry brush any less prominant color.As for the wood itself,distressing the new portion adds to the matching process.This basically is beating up the new to match the old,such as,hammering,icepicking,denting,scrathing,wire brushing etc..Hope this helps ,good luck.

Return to Beginners Category Menu