Bess maid?

Submitted by Brendan on 7/24/01. ( ) 152.163.188.163

I just went to a website and saw a dry preservative called Bessmaid. I have heard that dry preservatives dont actually Tan the hide so the hide may still shrink or lose its hair or other problems. I would like to know if anyone has used Bess maid and if it is ok to use it in place of a tanning solution. Thanks

Return to Beginners Category Menu

When you need a dry pres. its the best you can buy.

This response submitted by John C on 7/24/01. ( ) 208.44.115.40

D.P has is place as does in shop tanning and tannery work. Use all wisely.

Depends...

This response submitted by Old Fart on 7/25/01. ( ) 208.230.170.6

..on which part of the country you live in. If you live up here in the north country you are asking for problems, our humid summers and cold DRY winters cause dry preserved hides to shrink and swell. If you live in the south or west where the humidity extremes are not as great it seems to work. When I did use it, in the 70's, there were no hide pastes that would stick to the dry preserved hide. If you use it for anything other than birds I would recommend using the best hide past that you can get. The info here says Epo-Grip works and there may be others. For more information on DP go to the archives.

Have used it and it is the best......

This response submitted by Tony on 7/25/01. ( tholder85@yahoo.com ) 216.229.196.210

dry preservative, in my opinion. I have used it on several deer along with the epo-grip hide paste and it works really well. So, if you are going to use DP, I feel it is the best you can get.

Tony

Have used it and it is the best......

This response submitted by Tony on 7/25/01. ( tholder85@yahoo.com ) 216.229.196.210

dry preservative, in my opinion. I have used it on several deer along with the epo-grip hide paste and it works really well. So, if you are going to use DP, I feel it is the best you can get.

Tony

Return to Beginners Category Menu