planning to flesh and dry coon hides

Submitted by jim on 10/16/01. ( ) 209.240.222.130

I plan to flesh and dry my coon hide this year can anyoe help o the best wa to flesh coons draw knife, scraper ect. never done this before so don't be afraid to be to general thanks to all

Return to Beginners Category Menu

COON HIDE FLEASHING

This response submitted by Master of all hides on 10/17/01. ( ) 63.10.79.15

if you have a fleashing machine....it will work on the back skin just fine.....other that that...sissors are the best tool. The fat is easily cut off with them.

Wire wheel

This response submitted by Frank Kotula on 10/17/01. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.138.21.67

You can do it a wire wheel that's attached to a drill. One thing to remember when fleshing any mammal is to start at the tail and go trowards the head. I will work the other way nose to tail but the wheel catches the flesh different and it will pull the cape into the whell and can make a mess.

As for drying the pelt, salt it and place it on a little incline to let the fluids drain off. The next day shake off the salt and resalt it again. From there hang and air dry in a cool dry place.

you can also stretch it

This response submitted by silvio v. on 10/23/01. ( ) 142.22.16.51

I agree with Frank that the wire wheel is a good way of fleshing the skin, just be careful not to tear holes, in other words, use a very fine bristeled brush.
To dry the skins i usually stretch them, hair side in on a stretching board, however, this only works on "cased" pelts.
Good Luck

freeze it first

This response submitted by Larry on 10/26/01. ( ) 165.83.119.47

I was taught to freeze the coon hide first for a couple of days- this supposedly helps separate the fat layer from the skin which is connected by a membrane. Flesh it when it's still pretty cold and the fat comes off better too. This process seems to work a little better as the shoulder/neck area is a real pain. The hides are so greasy.

Return to Beginners Category Menu