What type/size needles for sewing mounts?

Submitted by Larry H. on 10/30/01. ( lhilare@yahoo.com ) 165.83.119.47

What type(s) and size(s) of needles are best for sewing deer mounts, i.e baseball stitch, etc.? I see in a taxidermy catalog there are various curved surgical designs and sizes available. Also, do you use a suture needle holder when sewing (looks like a hemostat with with a blunt, sturdy front)?

Thanks, this site is great. The availability of expertise is fantastic.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Needles

This response submitted by Dave B. on 10/30/01. ( dave.belanger@cabelas.com ) 63.124.205.5

Hello Larry,
I prefer using a 4" Glover's Needle vrs an S needle. I always had a problem bending them or having them twist on me, although lots of folks out there love em.With a 4" Glover's, the shaft is long enough that I dont need any pushing aid. If you thin the edges of the skin in need of sewing thin enough, very little pressure is needed anyways and it makes sewing a breeze.

Have a good day,
Dave

pretty much agree

This response submitted by Linda C. on 10/30/01. ( lcline@cheqnet.net ) 64.33.183.182

except I usually use the 6 inch glovers needle that WASCO carries.I have a problem with those curved ones curving the wrong way on me all the time.It really is a matter of personal preference tho.Needles are cheap,buy a few different styles and find out what works best for you.

bring out the big guns

This response submitted by Dave Toms on 10/30/01. ( ) 66.109.131.196

I guess I really am weird (right Lisa) I use 000 glovers for everything from Deer to moose. I keep it sharp and it does the job.

Dave

Not me

This response submitted by George on 10/30/01. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.189.172

I love the half circle sail needles in 4-6 inch. No heavy pushing through elk or moose with the sail needle as the triangular tip cuts its way through even the heaviest hide. Ideal for baseball stitch as it goes underneath and with little pressure is cutting upwards automatically.

Gotta have the tri-cornered needles

This response submitted by Leanna on 10/31/01. ( scardeer@cornernet.com ) 207.195.212.70

A sail needle must be the same as the glovers needle then? They both have the tri-corner tip sounds like. Glovers is what I use in all lengths from 1" to 6". The 1" are wonders for holes in ears and any other tissues that are very thin. I love the 1"ers and buy plenty as they are the easiest to misplace and lose. I switch needle size constantly during the repairing procedure of any speciman, it's nice to have them all on hand.

I have to find out if this has happened to anyone else before...I use the 6" to sew the seam of my deer capes, when I am at the end, I like to thread the needle back and in between the last two stitches, then come up through the loop for a knot....has anyone ever cut the damn thread with the tip of that blessed tri-corner needle doing this? Then you gotta undo the last 8 or so stiches to have enough thread to knot THAT section, and start a new one going for just the ending again? Oh I get irritated when I do that!

Too, I could NEVER get accustomed to working with the damned curved needles, they are evil. George, I'll send you all mine! LOL

Return to Beginners Category Menu