deer hoofs:how do i remove then?

Submitted by don on 12/1/01. ( tgras@nycap.rr.com ) 24.92.62.156

what is the process for removing deer hoofs? do i cut around them and they slip off? do i cut them off clean?if so how do i get all the bone and tissue out of the center?

Return to Beginners Taxidermy Category Menu

hacksaw

This response submitted by Gordon c. on 12/1/01. ( ) 142.177.60.69

or bone saw.

how do i remove the inner goodies?

This response submitted by don on 12/1/01. ( ) 24.92.62.156

how do i get all the goodies out of the hoof?

Use a brill bit

This response submitted by Gordon C on 12/1/01. ( ) 142.177.60.69

and drill it out... What do you what to do just get the hoofs off or do you what to keep hide attached to hoofs as in gun rack hooks, etc./?

hoofs

This response submitted by don on 12/1/01. ( tgras@nycap.rr.com ) 24.92.62.156

the story is i asked a hunter i knew if he had a FEW deer feet and antlers. so i returned to work after vacation to find a plastic garbadge can of antlers still attatched to the skull plates. no biggie i thought these will always have value plus there not gonna stink up my garage. but he must have misunderstood a few deer legs now i have 4 or 5 dozen deer legs that sat in an old truck for a few days before i returned to claim them. so theyre just turning, and i thought that the hoofs where the only saveable thing. should i just can em all?

Tlingit method

This response submitted by jerry on 12/2/01. ( akbirds@gci.net ) 24.237.187.70

I don't know if this helps but the Tlingit peoples of Southeast Alaska used deer 'hooves' on their dancing regalia to create the rhythm section while dancing. They boiled them and the outer covering comes off, they're dried and then attached to their dance attire.

Return to Beginners Taxidermy Category Menu