Gluing eyes

Submitted by Steve Dietzen on 12/2/01. ( spdietzen@yahoo.com ) 209.103.208.88

Im looking for some info. on gluing deer eyes vs. tucking. Which tech. is better? Describe how to glue the eyes and at what time during thhe mounting phase also what glue should I use? Thank You for any info you may have for me.

Return to Beginners Taxidermy Category Menu

Glue either way

This response submitted by Duane on 12/2/01. ( ) 64.12.96.204

I'll assume that you are refering to a manikan with preset eyes when you say glue. Use an epoxy type adhesive for preset eyes,and keep a close eye on it as it sets. You will more than likely get shrinkage around the eye and have to fill it with some finishing wax. I would tuck the eye whenever possible. You have more control over the final look and less shrinkage because the skin is locked between the clay and the eye. The clay work don't have to be perfect before tucking and you can fuss with it to get it just the way you want it.

Set eyes to mannikin with...

This response submitted by Gordon C on 12/3/01. ( ) 209.86.132.194

Magic Sculpt or clay ---let clay dry a couple of days. When you mount deer cape, glue eyelids and nearby skin to dried clay or Magic Sculpt with ear adhesive. Pin all around eye to foam. If your tan shrinks a little as it dries, fill cracks with Magic Sculpt and paint.

Return to Beginners Taxidermy Category Menu