Bess M. DP Aroma?

Submitted by Bill on 1/11/02. ( ) 216.28.64.28

I just recieved a bag of Bess Maid D.P. and noticed before even opening the box the smell of moth balls. I was wondering if any one out there, that has used this brand, has had any problems with their mounts stinking when done or does this smell die down. I've read all good reports on this brand (except for the fact that it is D.P.)and would like some feedback from someone who uses this brand. Thanks

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Bess Maid

This response submitted by George on 1/11/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.189.98

Should read BEST Maid. Absolutely the least harsh of the DPs and it is thick enough not to create great cloud of talcum when poured from the container. As for the moth crystals, they do die down, but compared to what they get rid of, I'd prefer it stayed longer.

Crushed Moth Balls

This response submitted by The Taxidermologist on 1/11/02. ( stephen.rogers@home.com ) 12.226.17.22

The smell is indeed some form of Moth Balls - either Paradichlorobenzene of Napthalene. I obtained a free sample many years ago from Mr. Sam Touchstone and then asked for an MSDS which he did not have at the time. Should you obtain one of the Material Safety Data Forms, it should spell out which of the two materials are in the dry preservative. These two chemicals are becoming more highly regulated and at present there are federal laws against using the pure stuff in public buildings. To be a responsible businessman, you should gather up all your MSDS forms and Xerox them and give copies to the local fire department. If and when you have a fire in your shop I would not want any of the fireman having additional danger from respiratory problems from burning urethanes, epoxies, etc. If you give the forms ahead of schedule, then the fire department will know to break out the self contained breathing apparatus.

I have never used the Dry Preservative personally because my institution requires MSDS to be on file of all materials used on site. However, many on the Taxidermy.net say it is the best dry preservative that exists. The portion of the preservative that is the moth ball smell will evaporate away and leave not residual smell, and will function to keep insects off the drying specimen. However, don't case the specimen before all the smell is evaporated into your specimen, because it will evaporate and then condense inside the case in a different area if there is too much there. Plastics can also be disolved by both compounds. Museums used to use 55 gallon drums of each material and place in trays in storage cases with scientific specimens varying from mammals to insects. Many plastic vials dissolved, and often the material recondenced on the case door. Napthalene as a gas is able to dissolve fats within the skin of birds and draws it to the surface given sufficient time, but the real risk is in liver damage to yourself.

OSHA require that MSDS sheets be present.

This response submitted by JOhn C on 1/12/02. ( ) 208.44.115.57

MSDS are required for any business with even one employee other than the owner.

When you get them catalog them in a binder in documnet protecters and even tag the sheets.

Keep this right there beside your bird book. Yes it would be a great idea to let the fire department know.

Have your employees read it and sign a page withthe dates they read it.

Return to Beginners Category Menu