inner tube

Submitted by Chuck on 2/1/02. ( ) 207.74.240.18

Do any of you use a inner tube to stretch out your deer hides? If you do what size do you use? Lawn tractor size or bike tube.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

I'd have to surmise that a truck tire tubve would work on a

This response submitted by Kristoph on 2/1/02. ( skinme2@aol.com ) 205.188.208.102

deer or other large animal and a bike tube on a squirrel?

toy-r-us

This response submitted by Terry V on 2/1/02. ( ) 216.120.182.62

has children bounce balls that inflate. they have a handle on them and are under $20.00. i have used these for about 15 years now (man i'm getting old). i use a hand pump with the ball, and pump the ball up slow. you don't want the hide to rip. you can make the neck wider but it also makes it shorter. used 2x4's a few times, this way is better for me.

I use a large lawn tractor

This response submitted by George on 2/1/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.12

Doubled, it's more than sufficient to expand most hides and, best part, it was only $8.

Sounds like a lot of work

This response submitted by Kenneth on 2/1/02. ( bauman@caddoelectric.net ) 64.58.38.69

All this stretching the hide with an inner tube, I don't quite understand. I spoke to a man in our state about doing some cape prep and tanning for me a few years ago. He told me I would have to use an inner tube to get some stretch back into the capes when he got through. This kind of made me wonder about his methods of tanning and I passed on his services. I have never had much problem with my capes shrinking up this bad. I am curious if we are speaking of commercial tans, automatic tanners, home tanning, preserving or what. What methods are being used that require an inner tube to get your capes to fit?

Aren't you prepping the forms, Ken

This response submitted by George on 2/1/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.234

When you use a stout ruffer or,like me, a mannikin scratcher, ALL hides are tough to "slide" on. I use the innertube to get me the relief I need to get the hide on. Then I sew it, turn it, and epo-grip it. Once the glues in place under the casing, everything goes easier. I'm not "stretching" the measurements," just making sure the hide is relaxed completely.

Return to Beginners Category Menu