What salt to use on cape?

Submitted by Salty on 2/1/02. ( ) 205.245.176.99

I have been told that I can use this American Stockman Fine Salt. It is kind of gray in color witk black specks in it. Is this o.k. or what. If not what can I buy in bulk to use. Thanks for your help.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Look in the Archives

This response submitted by George on 2/1/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.104

Go to the opening page and type your question in "What do you want to kow." I KNOW salt has been covered extensively.

Easy flow

This response submitted by Dan K on 2/1/02. ( furandhide@papadocs.come ) 209.83.146.6

If you can get American Stockman, ask for the "Easy Flow" clean white salt. Just ask the guys at the local feed store, they are usually happy to help. The guys at the local F/S know what I want when I walk in the door. Same price and no dirt in it. Looks like table salt. I have been using it for years. The dirty stuff is fine for salting hides but I recommend the clean salt for use in pickels and tanning solutions.
Dan K

Salt Supply

This response submitted by andy on 2/4/02. ( andy@gymopc.com ) 64.65.239.94

In a past Breakthrough issue white Grain Feed Salt was used for the salting step. I get my in 50 pound bags for about 5 bucks a bag from Beacon Seeds. Any feed supplier should have it.

SODIUM SULFATE

This response submitted by BIRDMAN on 2/24/02. ( ) 205.188.208.39

SODIUM SULFATE WILL DO THE SAME THING AS SALT IT JUST ISNT AS CORROSIVE ON EQUIPMENT OR VERY EXPENSIVE.

Return to Beginners Category Menu