women's view

Submitted by lynn on 2/2/02. ( ) 205.238.202.51

thinking about taxidermy in pa. what's best route to get started?school books videos basically no experience no taxidermist shops in area.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Breakthrough

This response submitted by Terry on 2/2/02. ( ) 207.94.232.52

Breakthrough Magazines and manuals available at basically all taxidermy suppliers.

Lynn

This response submitted by George on 2/2/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.96.104

Leave an email address. There are some great ladies on this site who can talk to you privately if you'd like. Nancy M and Leanna are frequents here if you'd rather have a woman's viewpoint.

Lynn

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 2/3/02. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.144.21.188

Good morning Lynn and best wishes to you. I don't know what part of the state your from but would offer you this. Our State Association is having there annual convention at Altoona this year. It will be held the second week of March. It would be a great idea for you to come and see what your getting into.
If you join our State Association and this is what help me out a lot when I decided to get into taxidermy, you will be able to see all of the seminars that are going on those days. They even have guys down there that answer question on how to pass the state test. There are certain requirements that you need to pass the test. Our laws are quite strict here and you can really only perform taxidermy work on your own specimens. You cannot practice taxidermy on anybody's work unless there gift it to you. Even then you must fill out a tag for you to keep it.
If you need more info on or about the state association just take a look at it in the state web pages here. Good luck and hope to see you at the show.

road kill

This response submitted by judy on 2/3/02. ( ) 63.166.242.247

Lynn, I'm new in this also and needed some speices to pratice (work) on, so I called the highway department and told them I'm looking for fresh road kill and what I was doing with it. I did check with the game warden first and called the place where I got my license from to see if this is legget. All oked it. If possable find a taxidermist with in a one hour drive for you to help you get started, you may have to pay him something but going to school you would also. working with a taxedermist myself I would suggest to you to try to stay with two species and be good at that before going on to the next, there is alot more to this then a person would think.
good luck
Judy

Do not pick up road kill

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 2/3/02. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.148.72.220

It's against the law in the state of PA to pick up any road kill with out first calling the Game Commission and obtaining a permit from them. You will not be able to get fox or racoon because of the rabies situation. The state owns every animal even on privite property unless you have paper that state you own the animal. You can call them and buy animals from them for a price. But please don't get caught picking up road kill in this state. I have check with many of the game commission on this matter.

roadkill

This response submitted by Ronnie on 2/4/02. ( ) 204.196.226.40

Yall sure are strict up there in PA on the roadkill. We got plenty down here in Louisiana you can have fro free and you don't need any papers. HEHEHE!

Return to Beginners Category Menu