a few questions

Submitted by SAL on 2/2/02. ( ) 65.146.67.50

I am from Upstate NY and was considering taxidermy. I've done one whitetail head with Sally Dahmes video it was so fun. Can a guy in New York have steady work if he markets himself right? I want to do more heads but I was the only guy in my party to shoot a buck any recomendations on what to do over the long winter and summer months to help me? I would like to try to mount a steer or bull but I don't know where to look for specimens or mannikins?

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Top Of This Page

This response submitted by Old Fart on 2/2/02. ( ) 64.122.57.69

Go to the top of this page, click on Taxidermy Net Home. That will take you to the Home page where you will find SUPPLIERS. That is a great place to start.

slow down

This response submitted by byrd on 2/5/02. ( ) 209.240.222.131

Did I understand you right? You just finished your first whitetail mount & now your ready to go into business? Well Rome wasn't built in a day. If you needed a heart transplant would you choose A) An intern looking for someone to practice on. Or B) an experienced heart surgeon. Well that's a no brainer. Why should somebody trust a beginner like you or I with what might possible be the trophy of their lifetime. Not to sound like a jerk but i'm sure most will agree that practice and alot of research would be a good place to start. Nothin wrong with doing some work for friends and family but to try to pass yourself off as a professional is another.
byrd

quality is the key

This response submitted by steve in geneva on 2/7/02. ( ) 205.152.57.135

i agree. once you have learned the techniques that result in a life like, long lasting product, you will have no problems getting work. people will go out of thier way to seek out a taxidermist that puts out consistent quality and reliable lifelikeness (i made up that word. like it?). good luck.

Return to Beginners Category Menu