bird mounting

Submitted by RICKY MEEKER on 2/5/02. ( rickymeeker@hotmail.com ) 63.87.97.98

I would like to know when mounting a duck i was told that you did
not have to use a dry perservative on birds, I would like to start
mounting birds but would like to know if I had to use dry perservatives or not can some tell me.
THANKS

Return to Beginners Category Menu

I would

This response submitted by Tony Finazzo on 2/5/02. ( finazducks@aol.com ) 205.188.208.40

Some have said no preservative is necessary in birds. I prefer to use borax. I havn't had anything eaten yet. just rub borax into the skin after washing and degreasing.
Tony

Agree

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 2/6/02. ( ) 63.14.155.121

Borax is easily available and pretty effective at stopping decay. I don't think it does much to deter pests though, so I don't recommend leaving mounts in areas where protein-eating pests are likely. I HAVE had a couple of things get eaten over the years. The culprits were carpet beetles and, one time, a mouse. The mouse took the feathers to make a nest. She paid very dearly for that nice soft nest, but it was too late to save the mount.

Nancy M.

DRY PRESERVATIVE THAT'S THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

This response submitted by CARL MCCOY on 2/14/02. ( carlemccoy2@msn.com ) 208.182.75.3

i only mount birds and in the beggining years had a few mounts destroyed by carpet beetles. my remedy for this is a simple mixture of wal-mart stuff. first 20 mule team borax and the secret ingredient crushed moth balls. the easiest way to crush the moth balls is in a blender.but WEAR A PARTICLE MASK. the first time my nose bleed for three days.put a handfull at a time in the blender or they will clog. the mixture isn't exact science. but i use about a half cup of the moth ball powder to a box of borax. the borax preserves and the moth balls repel or kill bugs. hope this helps. it has for me.

Return to Beginners Category Menu