GETTING PH RIGHT

Submitted by Tom Van Durme on 2/6/02. ( tatink@localnet.com ) 207.251.216.239

i have the sportsman series video tapes from WASCO useing their formula for pickling 2 gal water 3 cups salt 2 taspoons acid crystals i cant get the ph down to 1.5-2 i have added more acid but i am afraid to add to much is this formula wrong or could my ph paper be bad any help would be great.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Add more Acid!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 2/6/02. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 165.247.2.45

Definitely add more acid. As a rule you will need 2 Lbs. of Salt and 6 ozs. of Citric Acid for 2 Gls. of water. Or - if its Oxalic acid that you are using then you would need 2 Lbs. of Salt and 1 Oz. of Oxalic Acid. Normally my PH drops to a 1.5. Then you should see your PH within that range unless your water is extremely alkaline. Using only 2 teaspoonfuls of Oxalic or Citric isnt enough acid to bring the PH down low. Are you sure this isnt being mis-read?

not teaspoons

This response submitted by Roger on 2/6/02. ( ) 67.232.34.121

substitute "tablespoons" for "teaspoons" and your results will be much more to your liking.

not teaspoons

This response submitted by Roger on 2/6/02. ( ) 67.232.34.121

substitute "tablespoons" for "teaspoons" and your results will be much more to your liking.

PH

This response submitted by Tim on 2/7/02. ( tjsimon@zoomnet.net ) 208.32.28.230

I would recommend a PH tester of the electronic kind that is all I use .They are way more accurate if calibrated.I got mine from Bruce Rittel.Makes everything much easier.

Return to Beginners Category Menu