what's a Roman Nose

Submitted by Ben on 2/7/02. ( ) 152.163.189.166

I heard the term " Roman Nose ", could anyone tell me what the
term means.thanks.

Ben

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Bump on the area between the nose and the eyes

This response submitted by Bruce Norton on 2/7/02. ( ) 209.83.89.250

WT Bucks (and probably other critters) get a raised ridge or bump in this area from banging around during fighting and rubbing trees. It is a buildup of scar tissue, usually found on older bucks. I put some Apoxie Sculpt in this area to re-create that look when mounting these deer.

Bruce

mule deer more pronounced

This response submitted by dale on 2/8/02. ( ) 66.62.72.118

Can't vouch for the reason deer get roman noses, but mule deer are very pronounced in that regard when they get over 5 years old. they look pretty neat when they do. Haven't seen a white tail with one very big if any.

What's a Roman Nose?

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 2/13/02. ( g.conley@verizon.net or whitetaildesign@aol.com ) 63.27.103.152

Roman noses are produced by natural selection. I can not remember at what degrees North latitude that this physical attribute starts occuring, but the principles of inheritance are the same. The Roman Nose look is caused by a larger sinus cavity possessed by animals that live in northern climes. The larger sinus cavity allows for warming of air before entering bronchial tubes and lungs. Take a look at photos of Arabian horses. The original desert horse has a dished face, where as the Polish Arabian through accelerated evolution has a Roman Nose. States that utilized northern deer in their re-stocking programs will produce Roman Nosed deer more so than states that used southern deer in re=stocking programs.

Return to Beginners Category Menu