When to sew holes and rips on ducks

Submitted by Dan on 2/7/02. ( dan.bonham@sendit.nodak.edu ) 165.234.197.123

I am a high school science teacher who decided to try taxidermy with my students in class. None of us have ever tried taxidermy. So far this has been a very good experience for all, we have bought the Breakthrough taxidermy book and are following all the steps there. The two ducks we are working on now have holes from shot, sloppy knife cuts and tears. We have completed the degreasing process with grease buster and have yet to start on the pickling part. When would have been, or be, a good time to sew the holes? wait until it is tanned? or should we repair them as they occur?

Thanks for any help

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Duck tears

This response submitted by Brent on 2/7/02. ( Trutrophy@aol.com ) 209.149.184.4

I like to sew my holes right before I put them in the tumbler. (Are shaking them in a bag of puffed borax). Some people wait until right before mounting. By doing while the skin is wet, it helps me with two things: First of all I can push the feathers back through teh hole very easy and line up the skin easily. Secondly, It is prevent any large tears from getting bigger during the tumbling process. I hope this helps you.

P.S. I am glad you are not a English teacher

Brent

PICKLING

This response submitted by BIRDMAN on 2/24/02. ( ) 205.188.208.39

NO NEED TO PICKLE.
FLESH ALL FAT OFF--WASH REALLY WELL WITH DETERGENT
SOAK IN COLEMAN FUEL 1-3- MINUTES
SQUEEZE OUT FUEL (BE GENTLE WILL TEAR EASY)--COVER WITH BORAX ON BOTHSIDES---TUBLE IN CORNCOBB MEDIA 20 MIN ---BLOW DOWN FEATHERS WITH HAIR DRYER THAEN MOUNT GOOD LUCK GLAD TO SEE TAXIDERMY IN SCIENCE CLASS BIRDMAN

Return to Beginners Category Menu