Slipped hair, can I repair it?

Submitted by GPo on 2/8/02. ( ) 142.173.252.52

I have a cape that I am ready to mount. I noticed a spot about an inch square and another one about the same size a few inches away where the hair has come off in a clump, or two.
This cape is the 5th one I have done in the past month and the first 4 were OK. The only thing I can think of is that I use a broom handle to stir up the capes in the pickle bath and I may have loosened some hair when I periodically turned the capes in the solution(2 per 10 gal bath) I have set the hair aside for now and the cape is now moist from rehydrating. My plan is to let it dry and see just how much hair is still loose when dry. If these are the only bad spots how should I attempt the repair ? I've checked some of the archives and some suggestions are, new cape, glus job. cut & stitch. Can someone suggest which of these I should try, or another method.
Thanks

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Tough to hide

This response submitted by GPo on 2/8/02. ( ) 142.173.252.52

Also the location of the bad spot is half way down from the white neck patch towards the brickett, a hard spot to hide. I also do not have any stop slip chemical and it would take a while to get some.
I wonder how hard it would be to spot glue the hair back on when the cape is dry. Or maybe mount it, let dry and then attempt the repair providing there are no other bad spots.

Hard to say

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 2/8/02. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.129.149.235

for we really can't see it to really determine what to do but I usually cut them out in a football style and sew them up. You may have to go with a smaller form depending on where the cuts are and how much you need to cut out.

As for the broom handle cause it sorrt that won't cause you any troubles unless you beat the heckout of them.

You had this problem before it with into the pickle. Once a hide gets bacteria growth on it it's hard to stop it at that spot. You can only control it from going any farther. A pickle kills the bacteria that cause it but once you have it that spot is gone.

There a lot reasons on why they slip it's just hard to figure out where.

STOP SLIP

This response submitted by Sagebrush Taxidermy on 2/8/02. ( dcscoutnarnd@hotmail.com ) 63.172.255.69

I was wondering how well this works, had a little slip on a brisket this year.
Thanks D.C.

Fix cape

This response submitted by Steve on 2/8/02. ( gossard@gtelco.net ) 209.197.25.88

Cut out the sections in a foot ball shape and sew. I would cut the shape horizontal so it will not effect the neck circumfrence(sp). You probably had the skin rooled up during part of the skinning or salting or other, and skin got a waarm spot that allowed the bacteria to grow enough to cause slipping. It happens, this is a good lesson to learn from and will help you for when it happens again. When you sew the area up, just do not tighten stitches to tight, and sew with small close stiches and you will not notice the repair.

Return to Beginners Category Menu