Help with deer ear cartilage

Submitted by Sam on 2/10/02. ( sschmitz@bright.net ) 216.201.50.37

I am a beginner and have a question about wt ears. When getting ready to turn the ears, do you cut most of the ear butt off before doing this? If so, how much? This may seem like a stupid question but on my first deer I cut most of the ear butt off so I could turn it easier. After getting the ear completely turned, I turned the ear back from inside out, and you could see where I cut the catilage off. This seems like it would be a huge problem when using the bondo method. Hope you experts understand what I'm talking about. Any help appreciated.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Bondo ears

This response submitted by DE on 2/10/02. ( ) 161.184.234.197

Cut the ear off where it enters the skull then flesh off the cartilage. If you leave it all there you will have the inner ear in tact and a reference for earbut length. You will not be able to insert or remove clay down the ear canal though so make sure your earbuts are correct before sewing.

Bondo ears

This response submitted by Roger on 2/10/02. ( Emery30@msn.com ) 63.44.174.110

I like to leave the entire ear canal intact when I cape a head. This way I don't have to recreate it and when a client looks in the ear, they see a truly accurate canal. When using the bondo method, it is hard to beat leaving the original equipment, and it isn't much more effort, either.

EARS

This response submitted by BIRDMAN on 2/24/02. ( ) 205.188.208.71

IF YOU LEAVE THE HOLE EARBUT, YOUR EARS WILL NOT BE COMPETITION CORRECT. I HAVE SEEN JUDGES LOOK INTO EARS WITH A FLASHLIGHT IN COMPETITION. REMOVE THE PORTION THAT WOULD NORMALLY RECESS INTO THE SKULL INDENTION. THIS IS THE MOST COMMON MISTAKE SEEN IN COMPETITION. STUDY REFERENCE MATERIAL AND PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Return to Beginners Category Menu