Hide Gather Around Neck And Front shoulders

Submitted by Hunter on 2/11/02. ( ) 198.81.23.9

Could anyone tell how to get rid of hide gather around neck under the jaw and the front shoulders?

Return to Beginners Category Menu

use a "webbing stretcher"

This response submitted by Roger on 2/11/02. ( Emery30@msn.com ) 67.232.34.153

You can get them at any of the suppliers for cheap. Dig the teeth in just ahead of the wrinkles or bunched up hide and work it toward you a couple inches at a time.

Hunter

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 2/11/02. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.156.57.54

I don't like anything that puts those holes in a cape. It sometimes leaves a mark and I don't like it.

What I like to do is, trying to explain this is tough, when you pull the cape on over the manikin I pull the cape so that the face all matches up where it needs to be. Right now I not doing anything but making sure the eyes line up and the nose matches up. I'm not tucking in any skin. Then pull the hide under the chin and make sure the skin is right where it belongs. You will see a lot of skin roll up under this, don't worry it will go away. Next line up the brisket hair, pin this in just to hold it. Now go behind the mount and pull the cape together so that the ears line up where they're suppose to be. Pin the skin. Now you will have to pull the hide around the manikin so that all the skin comes together where you sew. You may have to pull up on the hide to get what you need. By doing this most of those wrinkles will go away. The rest of the small rolls I take a upholstery pin and line the rest of the skin where it belongs. By doing this you will see how the rolls under the neck disapper and you're mount will look much better.
I hope your able to understand this, like they say easier done than said here.

Frank, you PINNED IT? LOL

This response submitted by George on 2/11/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.209.165

Hunter, you never mentioned it, but I HOPE you're using a good glue underneath. If you are, the hide should taxi easily in these areas and if you are using a really GOOD glue, you'll never have to puncture the hide with pins either (Sorry Frank, I couldn't help myself). And it ALL depends on properly measuring and fitting the hide to the proper mannikin.

George...

This response submitted by DE on 2/11/02. ( ) 161.184.235.85

I think you finaly hit the nail on the head with the size comment. ALL beginners think they can get a little more size out of their cape by streaching the living heck out of it(I know I did). As you sew a cape naturaly will find the part of the form that is is large enough to fit around, this means if the form is too large it will work foreward to smaller areas and causes the trafic jam in the areas you described. It is not large enough to be worked back into position so you fight it until you are thouroughly frustrated. Next time pull your cape wide to get it back to size after tanning then let it lay flat without pulling while you measure, you will find that the cape is a couple inches smaller than when streached. when you order a manikin this size the skin will not only go on and sew up like dream but adjusting it afterwards is a cinch.

Ya I did

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 2/11/02. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.129.149.62

Just to hold it till i got it lined up. I'm all thumbs sometimes ROFLMAO.

Return to Beginners Category Menu