how to split a tail

Submitted by jen on 2/12/02. ( ) 64.12.96.139

ok how do you split a tail? i have mangled a few different types lol
i do well at the base but as i proceded i usually split and tear the end out?

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Tails are best pulled and then split

This response submitted by Chris on 2/12/02. ( yotetrapper@hotmail.com ) 66.168.129.174

Jen,

Generally most mammal tails are skinned with a knife down a couple inches, then the bone is pulled from the tail with the use of a tail puller. There are commercially made tail pullers or you can fashion one out of a couple of screwdrivers, a wooden clothespin, a pair of slip joing pliers. It is easy to do but somewhat difficult to explain, but basically you are surrounding the exposed tail bone with the puller and then pulling it in one direction while pulling the exposed tail bone in the opposite direction. With a little force the tail bone slides out of the tail skin. Once you have that accomplished you can slit the tail the remainder of the way to the tip. Make sure your tails are completely thawed before you try it though. If the pulling is really tough (before you snap the tail off tough) just skin down another inch or so and try the puller again.

Chris

furbearers-limited

I Like this

This response submitted by Rob on 2/12/02. ( rsporter@ismi.net ) 207.51.180.70

Jen,
I invested in a tail puller and a tail slitting guide and have a total of about $6.00 wraped up in it all together. I pull the bone out as Chris said and then insert the guide and just run my knife down it and its done. No more messed up tails!

Hope this helps,
Rob

tail slitting guide

This response submitted by Derek on 2/12/02. ( crochunter@alltel.net ) 166.102.183.207

Rob, where did you purchase your tail slitting guide, I cant find one in my taxidermy supply catalogs. thanks Derek

WASCO

This response submitted by Brandon on 2/12/02. ( laughlinb87@yahoo.com ) 204.246.7.225

WASCO has both of the items you need. the puller and guide.
-Brandon

thanks rob

This response submitted by mark on 2/13/02. ( mnmstuffit@aol.com ) 152.163.188.194

thanks for the info on the tail guide havent been able to locate one since misplacing mine.
Mark

thanks!

This response submitted by jen on 2/13/02. ( ) 64.12.96.201

hey thanks! thought hum wonder if im the only one with 12 peice tails? lol thank goodness i can sew
your apprentice,,,, the mangler,, o i mean jen LOL!

Return to Beginners Category Menu