Borax while fleshing

Submitted by Eric on 2/14/02. ( www.Magee@Pathway.net ) 64.210.53.108

I've found that when I dump borax on my coon hide before and while fleshing that they seem to flesh easier. Maybe it's cause I can get a better grip on them. Is there anything wrong with this? I mean could the borazx react adversely with the pickle?
Thanks, Eric

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Rinse

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 2/14/02. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.137.16.130

If your using borax you need to rinse it good or the PH will rise up high. You may be better of using corn meal instead.

Borax

This response submitted by Dave B. on 2/14/02. ( dave.belanger@cabelas.com ) 63.124.205.5

HEllo Eric,
Frank is correct in the fact that Borax will raise the PH level in your pickle. I add a little Borax any time I make my pickle on the hot side to slowly bring up that PH to 1.5 - 2.0

But I have used Borax on deer for the same reason you are while fleshing the Lips, Nose,EYes and ears without any ill effect for over 10 years now. I does make it so mucheasier to hold on to. But I am using it very sparingly!Many of the DP's work Heavily off the Borax side I haven't used it on the entire cape though.
I just brush the excess off and salt heavily. I can ,in total honesty say that I have every had any slippage on a single deer by doing so.But again, I'm using just enough to allow me to grip!I always check my PH DAILY while they're in the pickle as well.If your ph does go up, add more acid to bring it back down.
But, if you're using it heavily, I would definately heed Frank's advice.And again, check your PH on a daily basis to be on the safe side.

Good day to ya,
Dave

Thanks!

This response submitted by Eric on 2/15/02. ( www.Magee@Pathway.net ) 64.210.52.14

Thanks for all the help. Eric

Return to Beginners Category Menu