Deer Mounting

Submitted by Jim Long on 2/15/02. ( jlongtls.net ) 65.196.225.120

I'm confused - After skinning/fleshing a deer cape - What is the quickest, cheapest, best way-with quality, Process/Steps of preserving and time needed? Example - salt hide (with what/how long), soak hide (with what/how long)Is This Needed, what are next steps prior to mounting? I also see where an adhesive is NOT used at times on squirrels,etc. I know this is a lot of questins but I am getting conflicting feedback.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Next Step

This response submitted by Roy Kelley on 2/15/02. ( royk@usiavionics.com ) 65.69.125.161

When I started I ordered a Lutan F tanning "kit" for I believe Van Dykes. You will need to tan your cape or send it out. The Lutan F kit comes with acid for pickle, Lutan F to tan and tanning oil and will do several capes. It even has baking soda to nutalrize, you will only need several pounds of salt. Salt and dry your hide while you wait for the kit or freze it. Follow the instructions that come with it and you should do ok. Don't forget to thin your cape, turn the eyes, lips and ears.

DEER CAPE

This response submitted by BIRDMAN on 2/24/02. ( ) 205.188.208.41

SKIN CAPE
ROUGH FLESH
TURN EARS
SODIUM SULFATE ATLEAST 4HOURS (SALT SUBSTITUTE THAT WONT RUST EQUIPMENT)
WASH WITH DETERGENT RINSE COMPLETELY
TUMBLE (I USE OLD CLOTHES DRYER WITH HOLES IN THE DRUM PLUGGED UP NO HEAT ON DRYER--HOMEMADE TUMBLER BASICALLY)
FLESH AND TURN NOSE EYES ETC.
SPRAY WITH SURE CURE PRESERVATIVE ON FLESH SIDE
MOUNT

Return to Beginners Category Menu