thanks for the help

Submitted by Don on 2/16/02. ( ) 206.74.35.50

The trouble i`m having with the squirrel is getting the hide over the spread out arms and head.I tanned the squirrel hide, the reason i asked about the salt is because if you don`t get salt down in the tail the hair will slip.Am i right about the tail? i`m just wanting to figure this out.Any help will be appreciated.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

squirrel tail

This response submitted by Derek on 2/16/02. ( crochunter@alltel.net ) 166.102.183.141

Don, I'm just a beginner myself but in the archives I got an answer from John Belucci,I just tried it and it worked great,but only if your tanning your squirrel[which I am] I took a piece of string and hot glued it to the end of a small diameter wire and slid it through the skinned out tail,after pulling the string all the way through[leaving plenty of excess on either side of the tail]i cut the string from the wire and that left a wick inside the tail just pour the salt down the opening by the anal cut,slide the string back and forth till you have salt coming out the tip of the tail.I left the string in for the acid bath also to wick that solution into the tail.If you dont understand what I mean you can e-mail me or look in the archives undersquirrel tails I think thats where I found it.good luck .Derek

squirrel tail

This response submitted by Derek on 2/16/02. ( crochunter@alltel.net ) 166.102.183.141

Don, I'm just a beginner myself but in the archives I got an answer from John Belucci,I just tried it and it worked great,but only if your tanning your squirrel[which I am] I took a piece of string and hot glued it to the end of a small diameter wire and slid it through the skinned out tail,after pulling the string all the way through[leaving plenty of excess on either side of the tail]i cut the string from the wire and that left a wick inside the tail just pour the salt down the opening by the anal cut,slide the string back and forth till you have salt coming out the tip of the tail.I left the string in for the acid bath also to wick that solution into the tail.If you dont understand what I mean you can e-mail me or look in the archives undersquirrel tails I think thats where I found it.good luck .Derek

squirrel tail

oops

This response submitted by me AGAIN on 2/16/02. ( ) 166.102.183.141

too bad I cant figure out this forum,huh?

a little squirrely

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 2/17/02. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.152.150.34

If your tree rat is tanned then there's no need for salt. I have no idea on who or what told you this. A tanned hide doesn't slip unless it has bacteria growth on it and that happened way before the tanning process.

As for getting those skins over the parts you talked about you have a few options here. You can cut the skin and sew where needed. Or what many do is make a V cut in the legs of the form and fit you skin in those parts. To reattach it use a good epoxy and then just glue it back in.

Frank

This response submitted by Derek on 2/17/02. ( see above ) 166.102.183.19

The salting I was talking about was prior to the tan,as you of course already know,or do all you award winning taxidermists ship out your hides? If you would bother to look in the archives you will find the answer I gave,I got it directly from john belucci who you may have heard of nothing personal i just dont like being belittled when im trying to help someone else but you can bet that wont happen again

slipeage on tail

This response submitted by Steve on 2/18/02. ( gossard@gtelco.net ) 209.197.25.92

The salt and string idea is very good. I have always split the tail, but will try this method. Way to go Derek. Idon't know why any one needs to be anal about a "tree rat", remember, if you can't say any thing nice, shut the H&! up. He wasn't giving bad addvice.

Return to Beginners Category Menu