Thawing out

Submitted by jason on 2/18/02. ( slrichm@wcnet.net ) 216.88.251.183

I received 2 bobcats today they are frozen whole. I was wondering the best way to thaw them out. I saw in the archives that you can thaw the skins out in a solution but can you put the whole cat in this solution also, or will just water work.

Thanks

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Just lay them out the night before you want to skin.

This response submitted by John C on 2/18/02. ( ) 208.44.115.188

Geez Louise this is not rocket sceince. Plan on just skinning one per day. This way the other skin doesnot have time to start going bad. Keep it elevated so body fluids dont get in the fur, the fluids need to drain off as it thaws.

Man you know someone could sell all kinds of crap to help out if they were a crook.

Geez Louise

This response submitted by Jason on 2/18/02. ( slrichm@wcnet.net ) 216.88.250.184

I did not want to make this sound like rocket science. I had just read that the ears and lips thaw within the first 30 min. and the rest of the cat takes about 8 hours so how do you keep the ears from slipping. Appreciate your response though.

Thanks Jason

Just thaw

This response submitted by Kenneth on 2/18/02. ( bauman@caddoelectric.net ) 64.58.38.13

This time of year there is usually not much problem with thawing animals out. Here it is about 40 to 60 degrees right now. This usually is fine for thawing. In the heat of the summer, I would make sure the cat thawed in a controlled climate. I use an old refrigerator turned up to about 50 degrees, during the summer months. Worrying about the ears and other quick thawing part is a legitimate worry, but if the cat has been cared for, you shouldn't have a problem.

wrap head

This response submitted by mark on 2/19/02. ( mnmstuffit@aol.com ) 64.12.96.43

wrap the head in a towel to slow the thawing.check often as this can slow it down to the point where the body is thawed and the head isnt.
Mark

Elevate and Circulate

This response submitted by Old Fart on 2/19/02. ( ) 64.122.57.63

I would elivate the critter off the floor on something that will allow the air to contact the animal on both sides then wrap the head to prevent the ears nose and eyes from thawing too rapidly and drying out. Then put a fan on it to circulate the air. You can hang it also but keep it just off the groung not up high. When you can move the legs start skinning.

Pickle

This response submitted by Terry on 2/19/02. ( tcmiller300@msn.com ) 198.209.35.1

Try making a pickle (I use Saftee Acid) like you would after skinning and place the entire Bobcat(frozen) in it. In about 3 hours it will be thawed enough to move legs, etc... The pickle, at ph 1.0, kills bacteria and that is some relief in itself. The carcass is still pretty cold and that is good too. One thing though, I believe a pickle can set blood stains in so you want to get the dried blood off first. Works for me and I got the process from a very reliable taxidermist. Hope this helps, Terry

Microwave on low!

This response submitted by Big Al on 2/19/02. ( ) 152.163.189.173

!

cooler it!

This response submitted by steve in geneva on 2/19/02. ( ) 205.152.57.135

dont microwave it! cold air pools on the lowest surface it can find.
i put specimens in a cooler, covered with a towel. the parts of the specimen that thaw last, keep the parts that thaw first cool throughout the process. simple.

Thank You

This response submitted by Jason on 2/20/02. ( slrichm@wcnet.net ) 216.88.252.173

Thanks for all of your responses, even the one about the microwave.

Jason

Return to Beginners Category Menu