Peeling paint

Submitted by gregg wheeler on 2/19/02. ( ) 12.2.110.212

After prepping a pheasant skull (real one), I sprayed it with fungicidal sealer followed by flat white, then a layer of Ohre yellow/white (both colored layers were Polytranspar water/acrylic, and both layers had approx. 30% dilution with isopropyl alcohol). when I started to assemble the skull to the skin, the paint started coming off the beak. Would a coat of satin gloss finish have kept the paint intact? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, GW.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Head

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 2/20/02. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.168.157.79

personally I wait till I mount the bird and when all is dry I paint them. If your going to paint before hand yes a good coat of sealer would have helped. If you get any kind of wet hands feathers on the paint it will peel. Also make sure you wash the head in soap and water to get the release agents off.

Peeling or curling?

This response submitted by Scott on 2/20/02. ( sschuh@grapevine.net ) 216.117.39.25

If it is peeling then it is adhesion loss from possibly not roughing or scuffing the surface prior to applying your basecoat.If it is lifting or curling then it is from incompatible components.Make sure each coat has had time to flash before following with your next coat.

Return to Beginners Category Menu