which type of paint?

Submitted by Mike on 2/20/02. ( ) 205.188.208.38

Hi guys,
I'm just starting out airbrushing and have some great patterns from the Polytranspar line of paints to use. With my Paasche VL would I be better using the lacquer or the water based series of paints? At this time most of my painting will be on small areas. I would really like to hear the pros and cons of each. Thanks for your time.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

I like laquer

This response submitted by Piney Chick on 2/20/02. ( ) 205.188.208.140

My presonal preference is the laquer paints. For me they are easier to handle. I prefer some of the shimmers and pearls more than the waterbased paints. The only thing ... with laquer paints you need some ventilation. It can get a little stinky. I have the Paache VL and H airbrushes and believe it or not I like using the H better. Like I said my preference. Good Luck in what you choose

Laquer for me to

This response submitted by Ron on 2/20/02. ( ) 65.169.120.195

Laquer seems to go on better Just to be sure to wear a respirator.

I am a laquer man, but.....

This response submitted by Kenneth on 2/20/02. ( bauman@caddoelectric.net ) 65.64.66.252

I use laquer paint and always have. I tried water based paint and it just wasn't what I was used to. Does this make laquer better? There are a thousand opinions on that. They do work for me, but there is a health risk to consider. Laquer is solvent based and thus dangerous to your respiratory and nervous system, so you must keep your work area well ventilated. Does this solve the problem, doubtful, just helps tremendously. Water based paints are more friendly to you and the environment. I can't make a smooth transition, so despite the problems, I stll use laquers. Mainly, because this is how I learned how and this is how I have been successful. I need despirately to switch, and I plan on it. I guess my point is your body may thank you later for learning how to use water based paint now.

PAINTS

This response submitted by BIRDMAN on 2/24/02. ( ) 205.188.208.40

FOR COMMERCIAL WORK WATER BASE IS THE EASIEST AND SAFEST TO USE. MOST CUSTOMERS CANT TELL A DIFFERENCE ANYWAY. YOUR LUNGS WILL LOVE YOU, NO RESPIRATER TO TAKE OFF AND ON EVERYTIME THE PHONE RINGS. BUT CHOOSE WHAT YOUR MOST COMFORTSBLE WITH.

BIRDMAN

Return to Beginners Category Menu