dull feathers

Submitted by ken on 2/20/02. ( ) 205.188.208.71

my duck feathers or dull is there any thing you can spray or wipe them with to make them shine
thanks
ken

Return to Beginners Category Menu

seriously

This response submitted by JEM on 2/21/02. ( ) 208.48.229.66

WD40

I hope not!

This response submitted by George on 2/21/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.40

"Dull" feathers tend to be the result of one of two things: poor preparation techniques or molting birds. By poor preparation, I'm talking about fleshing, washing, drying and tumbling. Usually the luster of the feathers returns when the tumbling medium does its magic. Brighteners can be added, but feathers seldom require it. WD40 in a thin, water displacing (thus WD) oil that will saturate your feathers and crush their natural loft. I'm sure it CAN be used, but I'd work on the other areas first.

dull = dirty

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 2/21/02. ( ) 63.14.158.28

There is something still on the feathers. 'Hard to say without seeing it, but oil or grease would be the most likely, followed by soap residue. I have found that borax will dull feathers in some situations. I know, I know ... some people use it in their tumblers with good results ... but I haven't had good luck with it.
If you degrease using solvent and the solvent is contaminated that can also leave a residue behind.
I would NEVER put WD40 on a bird ... well, unless maybe it was really squeaking a LOT!

Nancy M.

Adding luster

This response submitted by Bob C on 2/21/02. ( bobswildlife@aol.com ) 152.163.188.40

You really shouldn't have a problem getting your birds nice and shiney. First, make sure your bird is thourghly fleshed. Wash in water with any grease cutting detergent (dawn, etc) RINSE WELL!
then soak in mineral spirits (safest) or white gas (coleman fuel. Soak for 10 or 15 min. This accually does very little degreasing,but removes the water from the skin to allow them to fluff up much nicer. Wring the out and tumble in a good quality sawdust, or what ever mideum you prefere. I guarentee you , you will be satisfied with the results! Bob C

Try this

This response submitted by Tony Finazzo on 2/21/02. ( finazducks@aol.com ) 198.81.23.42

I don't want to be redundant but, Try looking at individual feathers and not just the whole bird. I used to use borax in the tumbler and often ended up with dull birds. You can tell if it's the borax by looking at the individual feathers. You will see white dust or dirt in the feathers next to the main shaft. I don't think the 20 Mule team borax does this, but this type doesn't stick to the skin as well either. I think the powdered borax works better as a desiccant, but I still would not tumble in it. Also if you do many birds the tumbling medium will get greasy and dirty and should be changed.
Tony

Return to Beginners Category Menu