How difficult are birds to mount?

Submitted by Jason on 2/23/02. ( jasondennis@alltel.net ) 166.102.174.20

I know this is a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway because I don't know a better way to put it. So, compared to fish taxidermy, how difficult is it to mount a bird? I've done lots of fish and have learned to deal with all the problems associated with, Crappie, trout, bass, even mounted an eel. So how hard are bucks and quails? I'm sure different birds present different problems. I was just wondering if feathers falling out and thin skin are problems. It seems to me skinning the head would be the hardest part. I've been thinking about buying a couple farm ducks and giving it a try. Any advice?

Thanks,
Jason

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Jason

This response submitted by Nancy M. on 2/23/02. ( ) 63.14.159.156

Birds are different from fish, that's all. I don't know if they are easier or harder. To ME, fish are harder, but others will say the opposite. Just try it and see what you think.
I would suggest you NOT start with farm ducks, though! They are fatty nightmares to mount and can tear just from a touch.
Some sort of upland bird would be better, like a pheasant or quail.

Nancy M.

Go for it !

This response submitted by Bill K. on 2/24/02. ( klager@nvc.net ) 64.68.173.204

The hardest part is learning how to use the wire wheel. On the up side, your sewing skills will be elevated to a new level in no time at all. After half a dozen geese, the wire wheel is not quite my friend yet but we are talking terms.
Good luck, Bill

Thanks

This response submitted by Jason on 2/24/02. ( jasondennis@alltel.net ) 166.102.177.54

Thanks for the advise. We got a guy here in town that raises quail so maybe I'll start with that. And I guess I will find a copy of the Breakthrough bird manual and find a video.

Thanks,
Jason

jason, start with a handsom old rooster

This response submitted by steve in geneva on 2/26/02. ( ) 205.152.57.135

quail are too small to start out on. pheasant would be good. feathers rarely fall out like fur. skins are so thin that dp is the preserver of choice (borax). duck heads are too big to be pulled through the neck (avoid on first bird). Breakthrough is hard to beat for detailed instructions.

Return to Beginners Category Menu