Oil based paint

Submitted by Dan Catlin on 3/29/02. ( catlinhome@hotmail.com ) 207.74.81.210

If I use oil based paints can I use lacquer base top coats such as Crystal Clear from LifeTone. Will this make the colors run. I am new to this and I can only find air brush ready paints in the taxidermy catalogs. WASCO has some oil based tubes however they told me they no longer stock them and all there other paints are only air brush ready. I guess the next question is can I use a paint brush with air brush ready paints. SORRY for all the questions. Thanks for any response.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

One more thing

This response submitted by Dan Catlin on 3/29/02. ( ) 207.74.81.210

I'm painting deer.

Finishing

This response submitted by George on 3/29/02. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.189.67

Dan,
By the number of people who've jumped right on answering this, you can see that few of us use oils. Ben Mears does a super job with it as do others (If you come to the NTA Show in Columbia, Ben is giving a seminar on this practice). I'm not at all sure about the lacquer, but I'd guess on the safe side and use the glosses and varnishes that oil portrait painters use. I don't think they'd be quite as harsh as lacquer based materials.

Can I brush on Airbrush ready paint

This response submitted by Dan Catlin on 3/30/02. ( ) 198.110.161.62

Thanks for the response. I guess I'll use lacquer or water based paint if in fact I can use a paint brush to apply it. I should be able to talk my wife into an airbrush soon I hope. Thanks for any further response. DAN

You CAN

This response submitted by George on 3/30/02. ( ) 205.188.209.106

But you'll be much happier with the results from the artists tubed paints. They are thicker, obviously, and they thin better on a palate than the watery airbrush ready paints. I wouldn't recommend even trying lacquer paints with a brush.

Return to Beginners Category Menu