? on raccoon nose cartalige

Submitted by Sherry on 08/07/2002. ( ) 216.251.165.16

I have searched the archives, but could not find anything on leaving the cartalige in the nose. My ? is this. How do I keep the nose from shrinking? I was taught in school to inject dawn dish soap, but I am not happy with the results. Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time. Sherry

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Pine Tech by chance

This response submitted by Wayne D on 08/07/2002. ( ) 198.174.212.27

Did you go to school there by chance,if so I might know ya.

Dawn dish soap?

This response submitted by Superpig on 08/07/2002. ( millstaxidermy@aol.com ) 205.188.209.165

The way I do noses on my small lifesize is first of all I cut the nose on the form off. Then when I mount the animal I pack critter clay around and between the cartiladge of the animals nose. I then place the nose where it needs to go on the form and add some more clay around it if needed to blend it into the from. I overstuff the nose just a little and make it really plump to account for some of the clay shrinking while it dries. I had no shrinkage on nosepads since I switched to this technique. You can also shape the inside of the nosecanal better this way since there is no form behind the nose to get in your way. Just stay on the nose for a couple of days and adjust where neede until it it dry.

split the nose cartilage

This response submitted by Randal R. Waites on 08/07/2002. ( rwenglish1@aol.com ) 172.153.246.51

Split the nose cartilage in half, righ down to the nose pad, then keep working untill you have the two nostril opening skinned up off the nose pad, then I take a artis brush that will fit through the nostril opening but still be snug, and useing a skife knife, which can be bought from WASCO, or a scapel, I shave all the cartilage off the nostril openings. You will wind up with just a black pad and nostril openings free of cartilage. This is basicly, the same thing you would do with game head mounts also. This way you scuplt your nose on the form, and then put on hide paste, and tuck your nostril openings into the form and them push in some small amounts of plastic bag material, to hold the nostril skin in place.

Thanks all

This response submitted by Sherry on 08/07/2002. ( srusso@hotmail.com ) 216.251.165.166

I will try the clay Superpig thanks. Randal I do split the nose on larger animals but I like to use the real one with cartalige on smaller ones, just don't like the shrinkage. Wayne, yes pine tech! How ya been? email me ok?

here is another way

This response submitted by Jeff@Jeffs Taxidermy on 08/10/2002. ( mountman@netins.net ) 216.248.78.101

Sherry here is another way to do it but you will spend a few $$$ to do it
I remove all the cartilage from the nose so it is smooth and purchase an artificial nose and put it on the form before mounting and mount as you usually would and tuck the skin in the artificialnose and superglue it in place.
Then you dont have to worry about any shrinkage and the noses turn out great.
Any more qon how to do this feel free to email me and ill talk to you more about it
Good luck, Jeff

Return to Beginners Category Menu