Antelope horns

Submitted by Jim on 11/02/2002. ( ) 198.60.96.148

I am having difficulty removing the horns from the skull on an antelope. I read through the archives and seen how some are "sweating" the skull in a plastic bag while some are simply letting them dry for a extended period of time. I have never mounted a antelope before, only deer. If anyone can tell me what they have had the best luck with the removal of the horns please let me know.

Thanks, Jim

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Micro wave them.

This response submitted by John C on 11/02/2002. ( ) 64.216.172.50

I prefer to nuke them, only go a little at a time, 90 seconds, then attempt to twist them off. Hold the skull plate and twist the horn, you may need a cloth to protect your hands. Repeat, twisting each horn everytime out of the micro wave. One may pop off before the other. DONT RUSH THIS as you can blister the horn. Keep repeating until they both are off the skull plate.

Yes it will require a little work. But will not stink like other methods.

Clean the membrane and replace the horn using an epoxy.

forgot to mention

This response submitted by Jim on 11/03/2002. ( ) 198.60.96.135

Sorry I forgot to mention that this is a skull mount. I tried to get it into the microwave but it just dosen't fit. Does sweating them work well, or is there other options I can consider?

Thanks again Jim

Sweating them works good

This response submitted by JE on 11/03/2002. ( wildernesstrails@citlink.net ) 216.67.197.194

Wow, I have never heard of nuking them before. I will have to try that. I sweat them. I take a thin bladed knife and cut along the underneith between the horn and core. then I spray with water and bag up tight. It usually takes a couple of days, depending on temp.

Oh yeah, another nice little trick if it is for a shoulder mount is to take a small diameter drill bit and drill a couple of holes through the base of the horn into the core. This will alow you to line the horn up exactly where it goes. I use bondo to put the sheaths back on. the hair will cover the holes.

Good luck, JE

Boil

This response submitted by Tim on 11/04/2002. ( ) 12.254.200.157

I'm not a pro by any means. I have only done 3 and am currently working on my fourth. I have always boiled mine. You must have a deep enough pot to submerge the horns at least 3/4 of the way up. I boil for about 10 minutes, grab each horn put my foot in between the bases and pull. If they don't come off I repeat until they do. One will usually come off the second time. If it does then I will try to pull the other one off in 5 minute intervals.

There are a few folks here that will advise against boiling. I was taught to do it this way, so I do it this way. I have never had any spliting, curling or other problems that I hear mentioned.

I would try nukeing them but there is no way in #@$$ that I could get that buy my wife. I may have to go down to the second hand store and see what I can find. I would be concerned about getting a buble though?

Return to Beginners Category Menu