Squirrel method tan or dry?

Submitted by Jack on 11/05/2002. ( ) 12.161.96.45

What is the best method to do a squirrel hide for mounting dry method or any other suggestions I have done a few to practice but hair seems to slip alittle any impute, just starting to do this

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Squirrel method tan or dry?

This response submitted by Mark on 11/05/2002. ( ) 24.199.168.6

Jack,
I use a pickling solution comprised of 1 8oz. cup of Van Dykes or other pickling solution,2 1/2 cups non-iodized salt, 1 to 1 1/2 gallons of water at room temp. Just make sure the PH is at 2 to 2.5 and NOT above 2.5. Don't let your hide stay unfrozen for very long before you get it into the pickling solution. I do not really suggest dry preserving unless you are looking for the cheapest route. Good luck.

squirrels

This response submitted by wetnwild on 11/05/2002. ( voyer1@aol.com ) 64.12.96.136

Jack, for squirrels DP or dry preserve is fine. The problem with them is that the skin is very very thin. The heat from your fingers as you skin and flesh it is probably what is causing th hair to slip. Try putting on a couple of air of rubber gloves to stop the heat transfer. also, never hold uit in the same spot for a period of time. It also helps to skin them when they are stil a bit frozen.

Tree rats

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 11/06/2002. ( mhoney@mindspring.com ) 165.247.136.240

Jack, I use a method that I learned way back which is to pickle the hide, neutralize and then use borax and mount. Pickling sets the hair and gives you more working time. It's not a tanned skin but more stable to work with than borax alone. I've mounted some just skinning, rubbing in the borax and mounting but you have to work quickly and like Tom said, the heat from your fingers can ruin it. Animals racoon size and larger I tan. Enjoy, Aaron H.

Tan

This response submitted by Frank E. Kotula on 11/06/2002. ( basswtrout@aol.com ) 172.138.214.208

I know that they are nothing but a tree rat but they still deserve respect. I pickle. neturlize and then tan.

Would you?

This response submitted by Sarah on 11/07/2002. ( ) 64.12.96.136

Would you salt the squirrel before pickeling? And then pickl in Acid Bath crystals from WASCO and then Lutan F? Please hurry the aquirrel is thawing now! :(
sarah c

Return to Beginners Category Menu