"Tips and Secrets"

Submitted by George on 11/06/2002. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.188.34

We all started at the same place many of you are and some of us have been unfortunate enough to stick with it for decades. You will be very wise and last much longer if you approach every "tip" and "secret" with extreme caution. Several times in the past month along, some charlatan has come on here under several different names and given "trade secrets" that will put you into the stone ages if you followed them. Another has been away from the industry a long time and come back with ideas that have been surpassed by more modern techniques. Hopefully, the Jean Lavalee's, Bill Yox's and John Creager's who've been around the horn a few times will discover them and warn you early enough. BUT you can't depend on them being everywhere, all the time. There's nothing wrong with trying new methods, but keep it on a small scale and try not to use it on a customer's trophy until after you've proven to yourself that it works. If you have doubts, DON'T! Most submission here are given freely and with good intentions, but we must come to recognize that everyone out there aren't like us. In fact many who visit here are cagey, and crafty bunny huggers who'd be delighted to see you ruin your work and your reputation. And you don't have to like any of us in order to find out that SOME of what we say may save you both time and money. And you need to learn quickly whom you can trust and who is just on here to set fires.

Return to Beginners Category Menu

Thank-you George

This response submitted by Coyote on 11/06/2002. ( mrathnow@comcast.net ) 68.42.185.174

George;
I couldn't have put it in better words. But again every time I try and say something, I get my S--t jumped into. So again Thank-you.

Coyote

LMAO Coyote

This response submitted by George on 11/06/2002. ( ) 152.163.189.67

Let's stay close then. We'll surround the creeps eventually. LMAO

George, it just makes

This response submitted by Randal R. Waites on 11/06/2002. ( rwenglish1@aol.com ) 64.12.96.137

George, it just makes you wonder and shake your head. I hope Ken does'nt use them in one of his Breakthrough articles, "Taxidermy.Net Forum, The finer points to successful taxidermy." lmao. I don't even think, my Grandpa, would have anything to say to some those tricksters, I, mean, tipsters. rw

George is right. Here are some more tips!

This response submitted by John C on 11/07/2002. ( ) 64.216.172.58

Well here is a little extra to think about.

Who are the taxidermist that attend the shows? Who are the taxidermist that have demonstrated thier skill either with winning at shows, judging shows or showing methods in seminars?

On reason I go to the shows are to meet the people and talk shop. I was out of the United States for many years, when I came back home it took me a few shows to catch up just on my fish, they are my strong spot. My birds have come a long way as are my gameheads. Sure not a Blue ribbon winner everytime but the box full of reds let me know exactly where I stand quality wise.

Now someone that has not been to a show, is already behind the power curve in most cases. They dont have the lastest methods, they dont know what the lastest chemicals are and they sure dont know how to use them!

Most of us will only tell you a method that we have found fool proof. Remember K.I.S.S. well yes, we K.I.S.S. in the shop all the time, why Keep It Simple Stupid its easier that way.

don't know any secrets

This response submitted by Dave Toms on 11/07/2002. ( ) 66.109.131.224

but if you want a list of "What NOT to do" I have developed a pretty good one.

DT

Dave, did you find my list?

This response submitted by John C on 11/07/2002. ( ) 64.216.172.49

I thought, I had that list hid pretty well. Here if you make a mistake its not lethal

a little excited and a little scared of taxidermy

This response submitted by Bridgette Shearer on 12/04/2002. ( bridgette@ruraltel.net ) 24.225.20.152

I have always wanted to do taxidermy I am a female but not a bunny hugger or lover or whatever it was you said above. I used to love going trapping with my dad as a child and help him skin. BEst days of my life. Now I'm 29 and I want to try this taxidermy thing as a career I live in a small town in KS I don't have money, I don't have knowledge I only have the dream and the heart. What do you think can you give me some pointers on where to begin. Gosh I can only dream of what it would be like to spend a day in your shop wow. Will you help me? Thanks

Return to Beginners Category Menu