Looking for skulls

Submitted by WIll_182 on 11/07/2002. ( zorro4z@hotmail.com ) 172.139.216.137

I'm kinda new to the taxidermy, but am really starting to get into it. I have done a couple pheasants and really liked how they turned out. Now I'd like to try a couple of skulls. I found a nice 3-point mule deer on the hunt, brought it home and its finishing up right now. I'm interested in trying pretty much any small mammal or deer/elk/proghorn skull. If you have anything that I could hone my sills on I'd appreciate it if you'd get in touch with me. I live in the central Utah area. Also, the way I did this one was by boiling it removing as much of the gristle as I could, then wrapping it up in hydrogen-peroxide (3%) soaked cheescloth and hanging it on a fence in the sun. Any other ideas as to how to do this, good experiences, bad experiences would be helpful! Thanks all!

Return to Beginners Category Menu

ebay

This response submitted by Dustin on 11/10/2002. ( ) 64.12.97.7

try ebay

Trekking for Skulls/Skeletal Remnants

This response submitted by Lucky Thirteen on 11/11/2002. ( ) 216.179.1.218

This will sound odd, but my fave way to find skulls and skeletal remnants is like so: In your area, if you know where the animals cross roads frequently, trek around the sides of the road (sometimes inward of up to a mile) and you may find some animal not fortunate enough to make it far from the site of it's road injury.
Also, go where the water is. I can't tell you how many animals I have sourced from streamsides and pond shores.
If you are not the sort that is faint, I also recommend fresh roadkill. It involves a bit of stomach, but there is plenty of material to train on.
Outside of the many professional tomes on prepping skeletal remains, the simplest prep is like so:
boil and clean (as you did, boil too long: heat makes the bones brittle); salt the heck out of the inside; lots of even sun for a week. A final brushing should clear off any remaining 'matter.' A quick exposure to bleach will give it a sun-bleached look, but beware: bleach breaks organics down. If you immerse too long, it will jelly-up on you or become way brittle when dry.

Return to Beginners Category Menu